Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motor mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor mounts
    Posted: 09 January 2012 at 10:28am
During a delivery this summer, the starboard side of the motor mount bracket on the front of the engine broke where it attaches to the shock absorber. We lashed it back together with spectra and zip ties.
Yesterday, as I started to remove the bracket, I could see that the port side of the metal bracket had broken in the same place.
I'm debating whether to buy a replacement or take the broken one to the metal shop for re-enforcing/repair.
Any comments? thx, john
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 11:11am
I thought the local welder would be concerned about the strength of the repair as the breaks were at the bolt hole tabs. As it turned out, zip zip, welded up stronger than new for $25. js
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 11:16am
Yes I repaired mine too and re-inforced it. Its the only alternative really as buying a new one would be outrageous cost wise.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 11:33am
forgive my lack of engine knowledge but do you have a picture?  I don't know what to look for and if this is aproblem area this is a good time to get it fixed!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic