Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saildrive gears no longer available!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saildrive gears no longer available!
    Posted: 04 May 2009 at 2:15pm
Alternative Solution is here!!

The BUKH DV8-10 is no longer being produced. I believe most parts are still available thru Bukh distributors except recently we learned that the saildrive gears cannot be had. During an email exchange with Simon Gregoire (Colibri CAN 224) I learned he had a damaged gear repaired.

Here is a cut and paste from him: Thanks Simon!

I had a saildrive gear tooth broken off so that less than 25% of it was left. They rebuilt it so perfectly I could not tell which tooth had been broken off even with very close inspection. The gear came back looking new. I was told they didn’t weld the broken tooth back in place, instead they rebuilt it from the base up with new material and then they grind it down to perfectly match the other ones. I still sent the broken tooth to them so it’s easier for them to create an imprint of what they are trying to match.

Here is their address:     
United Welding Processes (Montreal and Toronto)
http://www.uwp.qc.ca/en/
jflood View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jflood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:34pm
I have a complete saildrive for the Laser 28 in excellent condition, as well as the Gori folding propellor, all from a fresh water boat . Both these have no corrosion, should thers be any interest, please contact
ben varley View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben varley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2011 at 4:01pm
jflood,

I am interested in the saildrive leg - is it still for sale?

Ben
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2011 at 11:18am
im interested as well.......

WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 11:04am
Bukh is not running. Little compression hand cranking the flywheel. Fair amount of air blowing out the intake port while turning the flywheel. Valve lash exists in that the rocker moves freely on compession and lifts the valve on intake, same with exhaust valve. With the head off and intake valve out, valve seat has some pitting. Seatis carboned up at the valve shield area.
Is this a "cut the seat and replace the valve" repairor should I be looking further.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 11:39am
Yes this is a cut a new seat and replace valves... typically the exhaust valve is usually worse for wear. Check valve guides so that they are not loose, they can be changed easily. Be sure the head isn't warped as it may need to be milled. Make sure you remove the water jacket cover near the bottom stb side. It like to clog up in that area. Doing this and re installing with a new head gasket usually gets it right. Verify cylinder bore looks good.... meaning no unusual wear occuring. A ridge at the top of the cylinder is ok. Goodluck! Smile
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 12:14pm
I pulled a real basic test. With the head laying flat, valves up, I poured paint thinner(teaspoon) on each valve. intake valve leaked all of it into the intake port, almost nonein exhaust port. This motor possibly over revved and maybe bent the intake. Source for a intake valve? Do I need to pull the injector before valve seat work?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 12:22pm
I've never been able to remove the head from the block without removing the injector....so not sure how you did that but yes remove injector before any further handling(don't lose the copper gaskets under the injector). Keith Strutt is the Canadian distributor for BUKH parts... hes a good guy and knows this engine well 613-634-8100 
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 11:00pm
What is the trick to removing the injector. It is pretty firmly planted in the cylinder head.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2011 at 11:55pm
Once the nuts are removed, just use a large screwdriver to pry the cylinder out of the bore

Edited by Bill Layton - 04 October 2011 at 11:56pm
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 11:21pm
Intake valve has a shield. Is this sheild to be oriented such that it diverts intake air away from the injector or does it face the other way.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 12:07am
Shield faces towards air intake :)
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 10:21am
Seems, on relooking, the sheild is oriented either up (flywheel direction) or down (back/bottom of engine). Ideas?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 10:55am
Hmm I can't remember, I thought the swirl flap faced the intake. Call Keith Strutt at 613-634-8100 he rebuilds these engines all the time. The washer inside locates itself on a pin, then your left with only two possible positions as I remember
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:03am
Thanks, looking at the spring guide (washer), the slot is cut of-center so I will use that as the guide as to which way the flat on the valvestem faces and hence, the swirlflap. Hadn't seen one of those before, nor had the machineist who has heads stacked all over the place.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:05am
when I disassemble I force myself to remember where the flap is.... however its been a while :)
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:07am
just remembered, if there is another Laser 28 near you...just remove the air filter and look in the port you will see it
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 11:15am
Why didn't I think of that. We are still planning one more sail before we drop his stick for the winter. The "one more sail" is because you can't put a boat on the hard if there is still beer in the cooler.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic