Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bukh DV-8 vs DV-10

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2017 at 9:58pm
BTW, I still have the shop drawings for the heat exchanger if you decide to go that way.
tonyt View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:49pm
Hi Frank I am going to convert my Laser to FW cooling this winter and was looking at this kit for the Atomic 4 which looks pretty adaptable.
I would like to see the shop drawing of your heat exchanger though if you don.t mind emailing it to me.

I might just make one.
Apres Ski LAser28 162
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2017 at 12:51pm
Ok. Will send it to you later today when I'm home.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 9:20am
Interesting kit you found there. I'm considering an FW conversion too but I was hoping to find an equivalent to this: http://www.pumpvendor.com/Johnson_10-24143-1.html.

That pump is discontinued but if it were available it would fit in the same 'receiver' as the Johnson pump the Bukh is supposed to have. I was hoping to find a Sherwood 'or equal' but I haven't had time to research since last week.
tonyt View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:35am
I replaced my SW pump last year and saw that double pocket pump on a website, I was worried about two things, I did not think it would fit because the height is very restricted below the flywheel and the second thing was that the rubber impeller pumps are not really designed for hot coolant. I know they work ok but that might be because our thermostats are set quite low due to the sea water circulation. I am not exactly fond of the electric option but they are designed for hot coolant and are centrifugal pumps which are pretty reliable. The manufacturer of the pump is Johnson and they claim 5000 hours of life for the electric pump. The Bosch pump is even longer but more expensive. 
Apres Ski LAser28 162
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:01pm
Warbirds has been circulating warm anti freeze for about five years on the same rubber or nitrile impelle. That coolant does not reach the same temperature as the head. howevervthe Orbedorfer centrifugal is very reliable as well. To anyone doing this the idea of a double Johnson pump that mounts on the standard mount sounds slick. I can't imagine that it comes up as high as the flywheel.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 1:08pm
The double pump does fit our engines. I removed one from a friends boat and returned the engine back to raw water cooling because it'll stay in fresh water.

The only downside to an electric pump is you can't run your engine if your batterie(s) are dead. Whereas the standard engine configuration will pull start and run all day and charge up your dead batteries.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 7:22pm
Dang - if I had known I would have put that on when I replaced my pump this summer . I don't like the raw water in the engine even though I am fresh water 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Louis Farmer View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Louis Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2017 at 11:11pm
I have the parts you need!  Smile

I purchased my boat in fall 2014, in dire need of TLC. I took out the engine to do a full overhaul after finding out the head wasn't cracked when we saw water in the oil just to make sure I'd be safe for a while and feel confident about the engine on long trips. With Bill's help, we returned it to freshwater cooling and put everything back to normal. 

Here's a gallery of the images from the overhaul and a today picture of the pump, i just turned it over and it seems to work just like when it was on the engine. I'm now on a johnson single pump running fresh water through the engine. There's also pictures of the heat exchanger on it's bracket, I unfortunately didn't find it in my garage for an updated picture like the pump, but I suspect it's at my dad,s garage :)  There's also a 12V diesel low pressure pump in case you're interested, unrelated to cooling.

You can email me at   mr.louisfarmer@gmail.com   to talk about the parts and if you want to buy them

Louis

Edited by Louis Farmer - 17 October 2017 at 11:12pm
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2017 at 4:10pm
Neat , however I just put a brand new pump on , not worth switching as fresh water boat .  Would have bought the dual at that time though . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
tonyt View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 8:37am
Good to see that double pump fits, I also just replaced my leaky pump this year with a new Johnson pump so I don't want to buy another although I really like the idea of not having to deal with an electric pump. I agree with Frank, the rubber impeller pumps will work OK for antifreeze if it is not too hot. They are easy to change the impellers if they get worn out anyway. I wonder if that top pump is stackable with the existing new ball bearing pumps that replaced the original since I could then use my new pump.
Apres Ski LAser28 162
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2017 at 9:06am
That pump looks stack-able but I wonder if  it's 2 shafts or one long one. The base of that pump also looks like it's the one with a bearing instead of the bushing design the older pumps use. But in order to change impellers I would have to assume they would be separate shafts.

Edited by Bill Layton - 19 October 2017 at 9:08am
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 3:08am
My 1985 Bukh DV8 was down on compression. I took the cylinder head off, found both valves were bad, sent the head to a machine shop. They ground through the wall. I need a new, used, or rebuilt head! Can anyone help. The new Bukh dealer in Sidney BC could not help. We do not have many boats with Bukhs on the West coast.
Thanks
Bob
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 8:35am
That's too bad Bob. Bukh heads are rare. Do you have the failed head? There was a machine shop in Canada that had some skill in reconditioning failed heads although I was told success was 50/50. It would take some detective work to find out if they still exist.
You can also scour the web of Europe although language can be tricky. Like this https://www.kkemotorer.dk/topstykke-ventiler-knastaksel/2922-solgt-topstykke-dv-8-10l-brugt-used.html
john
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2020 at 9:12am
I would not give up on your head. We have had a few rebuilt by Lordco Auto Parts in Canada who do a wonderful job of reinstating the cast iron with a sstitching method of welding cast iron. On completion the repair is perfectly true and undetectable by the eye. I previously had one done by brazing in bronze, but it is nothing compared to the work that Lordco does. I can find out, but I think the cost was about CAD$500. The last one we did was organized by Lordco in Squamish, British Columbia that is situated about half way between where we live in Whistler, and the West Vancouver Yacht Club, so we have to drive through Squamish to get to our boat. Can you send me some photos of the head and the damaged area?
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2020 at 3:44am
frfletch,
Thanks for your reply. You give me some hope. By the way, I spent a lot of my youth in Gibsons.
How can I get the pictures to you. 
Bob
rjswangard@comcast.net
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 6:24pm
frfletch,
I contacted Lordco in Vancouver. They referred me to their machine shop in Mission. They said that they did not have a place in Squamish. I talked to Guy who said that they had done similar repairs in the past, he asked for picture. The pictures were sent 10 days ago, no word yet. 
I have contacted 10 Bukh dealers and others around the world looking for a used/rebuilt head, no luck!
I am very worried that I am going to be SOL.
Is there a Yanmar, Beta, or other engine that could fit of the sail-drive. 
Please get back to me if you can. Bill if you have some advice please pipe up.
Thank you
Bob
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 7:46am
Are you sure the shop got your pics Bob? Some email accounts can't handle that much data.
BTW - Bill has been ill.

js
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:43am
Oh no on Bill, anything we can do? Cards? Bad jokes to lift the spirits?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic