Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laser 28 Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laser 28 Wanted
    Posted: 24 April 2015 at 5:17pm
I am looking to buy a Laser 28.  Preferably from somewhere in the western US.  Any boats out there officially or unofficially for sale???

Thanks!
Vance
silversailor View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2015 at 9:22pm
There's a 1985 L28 for sale in New Buffalo, MI. Purchased new by current owner. Cruised, not raced. Original sails.  Needs lots of work.  Not well maintained. On cradle which owner has transported on flatbed trailer (not included). Owner believes it's hull #72.  It's sail #171. Owner believes that sail #s began at 100 for hull #1. Asking $18.5K US. If interested, send me a PM and I'll provide contact info for owner.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:46am
We know of a boat for sail in Vancouver, BC (West Coast). I am familiar with that boat and can relate that it is in excellent condition with full suit of race able sales, though not new. It is hull #242 so it is is actually the 142nd boat built out of 143. All new hi-tech running rigging, etc, and interior is in great shape. Owner wants a larger boat for wife and family. If interested I can put you in touch with owner. No trailer with this one, but everything else is good. Not sure the price, but guessing around $22,000.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:17am
The hull number is located on the starboard side of the transom.  It's the last three digits I believe.  Hull #1 was listed as 100 and as Frank states, there were 143 boats so #243 is the last.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:34am
If sail number 100 was hull number 1 than sail number 101 was hull 2. So sail 242 was hull 143. Right?
Simon Gregoire View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 9:17am
All numbers, sail and hull, start at 100, so 242 would have been the 143rd boat built, but it would still show 242 in the serial number marked on the starboard side of its transom. Everyone carries sail numbers that correspond to the number marked on the hull.

Simon
Colibri 224
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 10:39am
ah yes Simon is correct.  Hull 243 is the last so that's 144 boats built.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Vance Newell View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:07am
I've gone back and forth with the owner on the New Buffalo boat but the cost of travel, transport and updating  make it cost prohibitive for me.  There is definitely an appeal to a fresh water only, never race stressed boat though.

Edited by Vance Newell - 25 April 2015 at 11:08am
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by frfletch frfletch wrote:

We know of a boat for sail in Vancouver, BC (West Coast). I am familiar with that boat and can relate that it is in excellent condition with full suit of race able sales, though not new. It is hull #242 so it is is actually the 142nd boat built out of 143. All new hi-tech running rigging, etc, and interior is in great shape. Owner wants a larger boat for wife and family. If interested I can put you in touch with owner. No trailer with this one, but everything else is good. Not sure the price, but guessing around $22,000.

This is the most promising lead I have seen.  I would love to get more information - photos, sail inventory, equipment, rigging and engine details, any condition issues, etc...   I am on the central coast of California, so it's not exactly nearby, but much more manageable than the east coast or even midwest.  Thanks! 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:56am
I will call him today and find out the latest. Once I confirm that he still wants to sell this boat, I will put you in touch. By-the-way, this was a fresh water boat for almost its entire life coming from Ontario. The previous owner brought it to Vancouver, put it in the water for six months, and was not sufficiently careful with either managing his electricity, or changing the anode and the sail drive leg got a few cavities in it. I purchased the boat on behalf of someone else, fixed the leg, which was very minor compared to others I have done, and the owner I bought it for fixed up the boat, changed the rigging, and re-did the deck with Kiwi-grip. He then sold it on to the guy who now wants a larger boat. Name of boat is Grey Eric. We race against her occasionally, but I have not been on her since I first picked up the boat a couple of years ago, but I remember all the downstairs cushions and woodwork were in excellent condition.
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:01pm
Vance, you made the right decision regarding the New Buffalo boat.  I was aboard last week and dismayed at the lack of maintainance.  Surprising since the owner said he was an engineer. I "guestimatted" $20-25K to put in shape with new sails.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:15pm
Besides the money there is also the time! OMG the hours! I have put literally thousands of hours into Voila and I'm able to do it because I have the skill sets. However if one had to commit these old boats to a boatyard to get the things done to make it one's dream boat, at boat yard rates it would be in the 10's of thousands. Then I wonder what might have happened if I spent all those hours focused on gaining revenue instead of breaking my back. But working on these boats is so much fun, a don't dwell very long on the process. It is a labor of love issue.
Kentbrownlow View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentbrownlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 2:11am
Hi Vance,

I am the owner of Grey Erik #242.
It is currently in the water in West Vancouver, BC.
PM me with your email address and I can send you details about the boat.

Kent
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:22am
http://www.sailboatforsale.info/898469/laser-28-sailboat-bonsall-12000/

Found this one this morning. It looks like it has had the keel modified with a bulb attached to it.

Edited by Mike V - 26 April 2015 at 7:25am
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 8:31am
FYI, the first boat was #101 Smile
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:11am
Ha so I was was right (kinda) that there's 143 boats.

12k with trailer?  Price competitive, depending on condition.  Can't say I've ever seen a L28 with davits and a dodger before!
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by silversailor silversailor wrote:

Vance, you made the right decision regarding the New Buffalo boat.  I was aboard last week and dismayed at the lack of maintainance.  Surprising since the owner said he was an engineer. I "guestimatted" $20-25K to put in shape with new sails.

Thanks!  That confirms the gut feeling in had on that one.   Glad I saved the airfare!
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vance Newell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Mike V Mike V wrote:

http://www.sailboatforsale.info/898469/laser-28-sailboat-bonsall-12000/

Found this one this morning. It looks like it has had the keel modified with a bulb attached to it.

Thank you Mike!  I think this boat was for sale a couple years ago.  I thought it had left the area.  I reached out to the owner, hope to hear back soon.  Photos look promising (might have to fix the keel though).

Thanks agian!
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 12:20pm
Yes, this boat was for sail. I had a friend here in Vancouver who was interested and went down to have a look. He became a little discouraged because of all the things he would have to undo to make it a proper Laser again and was not up for the project, so gave up on it. It still seems to represent great value for someone who wants a boat to cruise with, or who has the time to get to work on her.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:36pm
Correction: Hull ID is in the middle of the number on the transom, not at the end.  For example mine reads:  ZIDX0240F787 so the 240 in the middle is the hull number. 
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic