Forum Description: All the topics that don't fit elsewhere
URL: http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=702
Printed Date: 16 May 2024 at 5:25pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Laser 28 Wanted
Posted By: Vance Newell
Subject: Laser 28 Wanted
Date Posted: 24 April 2015 at 5:17pm
I am looking to buy a Laser 28.  Preferably from somewhere in the western US.  Any boats out there officially or unofficially for sale???

Thanks!
Vance

Replies:
Posted By: silversailor
Date Posted: 24 April 2015 at 9:22pm
There's a 1985 L28 for sale in New Buffalo, MI. Purchased new by current owner. Cruised, not raced. Original sails.  Needs lots of work.  Not well maintained. On cradle which owner has transported on flatbed trailer (not included). Owner believes it's hull #72.  It's sail #171. Owner believes that sail #s began at 100 for hull #1. Asking $18.5K US. If interested, send me a PM and I'll provide contact info for owner.

Posted By: frfletch
Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:46am
We know of a boat for sail in Vancouver, BC (West Coast). I am familiar with that boat and can relate that it is in excellent condition with full suit of race able sales, though not new. It is hull #242 so it is is actually the 142nd boat built out of 143. All new hi-tech running rigging, etc, and interior is in great shape. Owner wants a larger boat for wife and family. If interested I can put you in touch with owner. No trailer with this one, but everything else is good. Not sure the price, but guessing around $22,000.

Posted By: Winner
Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:17am
The hull number is located on the starboard side of the transom.  It's the last three digits I believe.  Hull #1 was listed as 100 and as Frank states, there were 143 boats so #243 is the last.

-------------
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 8:34am
If sail number 100 was hull number 1 than sail number 101 was hull 2. So sail 242 was hull 143. Right?

Posted By: Simon Gregoire
Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 9:17am
All numbers, sail and hull, start at 100, so 242 would have been the 143rd boat built, but it would still show 242 in the serial number marked on the starboard side of its transom. Everyone carries sail numbers that correspond to the number marked on the hull.

Simon
Colibri 224

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 10:39am
ah yes Simon is correct.  Hull 243 is the last so that's 144 boats built.

-------------
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:07am
I've gone back and forth with the owner on the New Buffalo boat but the cost of travel, transport and updating  make it cost prohibitive for me.  There is definitely an appeal to a fresh water only, never race stressed boat though.

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:14am
Originally posted by frfletch frfletch wrote:

We know of a boat for sail in Vancouver, BC (West Coast). I am familiar with that boat and can relate that it is in excellent condition with full suit of race able sales, though not new. It is hull #242 so it is is actually the 142nd boat built out of 143. All new hi-tech running rigging, etc, and interior is in great shape. Owner wants a larger boat for wife and family. If interested I can put you in touch with owner. No trailer with this one, but everything else is good. Not sure the price, but guessing around $22,000.

This is the most promising lead I have seen.  I would love to get more information - photos, sail inventory, equipment, rigging and engine details, any condition issues, etc...   I am on the central coast of California, so it's not exactly nearby, but much more manageable than the east coast or even midwest.  Thanks! 

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 11:56am
I will call him today and find out the latest. Once I confirm that he still wants to sell this boat, I will put you in touch. By-the-way, this was a fresh water boat for almost its entire life coming from Ontario. The previous owner brought it to Vancouver, put it in the water for six months, and was not sufficiently careful with either managing his electricity, or changing the anode and the sail drive leg got a few cavities in it. I purchased the boat on behalf of someone else, fixed the leg, which was very minor compared to others I have done, and the owner I bought it for fixed up the boat, changed the rigging, and re-did the deck with Kiwi-grip. He then sold it on to the guy who now wants a larger boat. Name of boat is Grey Eric. We race against her occasionally, but I have not been on her since I first picked up the boat a couple of years ago, but I remember all the downstairs cushions and woodwork were in excellent condition.

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:01pm
Vance, you made the right decision regarding the New Buffalo boat.  I was aboard last week and dismayed at the lack of maintainance.  Surprising since the owner said he was an engineer. I "guestimatted" $20-25K to put in shape with new sails.

Date Posted: 25 April 2015 at 12:15pm
Besides the money there is also the time! OMG the hours! I have put literally thousands of hours into Voila and I'm able to do it because I have the skill sets. However if one had to commit these old boats to a boatyard to get the things done to make it one's dream boat, at boat yard rates it would be in the 10's of thousands. Then I wonder what might have happened if I spent all those hours focused on gaining revenue instead of breaking my back. But working on these boats is so much fun, a don't dwell very long on the process. It is a labor of love issue.

Posted By: Kentbrownlow
Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 2:11am
Hi Vance,

I am the owner of Grey Erik #242.
It is currently in the water in West Vancouver, BC.
PM me with your email address and I can send you details about the boat.

Kent

Posted By: Mike V
Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 7:22am
http://www.sailboatforsale.info/898469/laser-28-sailboat-bonsall-12000/

Found this one this morning. It looks like it has had the keel modified with a bulb attached to it.

-------------
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC

Posted By: Bill Layton
Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 8:31am
FYI, the first boat was #101 Smile

Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 9:11am
Ha so I was was right (kinda) that there's 143 boats.

12k with trailer?  Price competitive, depending on condition.  Can't say I've ever seen a L28 with davits and a dodger before!

-------------
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON

Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by silversailor silversailor wrote:

Vance, you made the right decision regarding the New Buffalo boat.  I was aboard last week and dismayed at the lack of maintainance.  Surprising since the owner said he was an engineer. I "guestimatted" $20-25K to put in shape with new sails.

Thanks!  That confirms the gut feeling in had on that one.   Glad I saved the airfare!

Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Mike V Mike V wrote:

http://www.sailboatforsale.info/898469/laser-28-sailboat-bonsall-12000/

Found this one this morning. It looks like it has had the keel modified with a bulb attached to it.

Thank you Mike!  I think this boat was for sale a couple years ago.  I thought it had left the area.  I reached out to the owner, hope to hear back soon.  Photos look promising (might have to fix the keel though).

Thanks agian!

Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 12:20pm
Yes, this boat was for sail. I had a friend here in Vancouver who was interested and went down to have a look. He became a little discouraged because of all the things he would have to undo to make it a proper Laser again and was not up for the project, so gave up on it. It still seems to represent great value for someone who wants a boat to cruise with, or who has the time to get to work on her.

Date Posted: 26 April 2015 at 10:36pm
Correction: Hull ID is in the middle of the number on the transom, not at the end.  For example mine reads:  ZIDX0240F787 so the 240 in the middle is the hull number. 

-------------
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON

Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 5:11pm
I am going to look at the San Diego boat today. Any quick pointers on specifics I should be aware of? Things to check or look for?

Thanks!!

Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 5:37pm
The owner of that boat was John Shumaker and he was a close friend of Bruce farr...in fact they were neighbors in Annapolis. So the 400 Lb bulb that was added was all designed by Bruce. I spoke with him thru the job and they restructured the hull fibreglass to accomodate the added loads again designed by bruce. I believe John has passed by now and his son is trying to sell the boat. It would make a great boat but obviously it would require a keel change to class race.

Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 6:12pm
Thanks Bill! That was definitely a concern as far as whether the boat could handle the extra weight down there. I saw also in the forum that there had been some hull repairs done (searched the boat name) and was wondering if that was related. Not too concerned with class racing as there are only a couple of Lasers I can locate here in California. I think the boat sold a couple of years ago but not completely sure. I know it was listed.

PS. Love this forum. So much great information!

Posted By: fatjohnz
Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 7:10pm
Having said that Bruce designed the bulb, I would not suggest that the boat return to class. It looks pretty slick as-is. sj

Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 7:25pm
Below is an extract we received when the boat was looked at by Chris Wilson from Vancouver. I also have a couple of photos of the repair, but they don't show much. See below:

An update on Zapatero's repair:
Once hauled, we found there were no cracks in
the hull laminate, just in some fairing putty
and the bottom paint.
[We actually drilled some cores through the cracks to make sure (added
comment)]
The structural grid had become disbonded from
the hull for a distance of about 1 foot, either
side of the sump. The sump remained bonded
and there were cracks that went completely
through the grid laminate with a length of an inch or two at the junction between the sump
and the transverse beams (floors).
We repaired as follows:
Cut out the structural grid for a total width of about 5 feet and for a distance about 6 inches
beyond the front and back ends of the keel sump. Ground out the grid laminate from the
sump.
Added 1.5 oz mat, 24 oz woven roving (WR), mat, WR, then two layers of 8.6 oz unidirectional
(uni) to the hull, including the sump. All were laminated with epoxy laminating resin. WR and
uni were S-glass. Unis were run in the athwartships direction.
Built floors from 2x douglas fir.
laminated mat, WR, and Unis over the dougla
s fir floors, using approximately the same
schedule as for the hull, above. Laminations extended across the entire area of the hull
laminated above.
reinstalled the original structural grid over
the new laminated grid. The old grid was tab-
laminated onto the hull with mat, WR and epoxy. cut joints in the old grid were ground out
and taper-laminated with mat, WR and polyeste
r resin, since the old grid was polyester.
Furniture is now being put back in the boat.”
Note
that
after
the
old
grid
was
cut
out,
we
added
a
considerable
laminate
schedule
to
that
entire
area
of
the
inside
skin
of
the
hull.
I
remember
that
the
worker
that
did
all
the
laminating
work
was
very
skilled,
but
understood
little
about
engineering
stresses
and
strains.
I
originally
had
designed
the
floors
to
be
replaced
with
the
same
shape,
with
PVC
foam
to
serve
as
molds
for
the
laminate.
He
wasn’t
happy
until
I
redesigned
it
with
Douglas
fir
molds
at
his
suggestion.
He
was
satisfied
with
the
“stronger”
Douglas
fir.
I
knew
that
the
core
material
was
inconsequential
in
this
particular
design.
Since
we
used
narrower
2x
lumber,
the
old
floors
fit
neatly
over
the
when
it
was
finished
(see
below).
I
visited
the
yard
at
Oceanside
regularly
during
the
repair
to
observe
and
discuss
the
progress
with
their
laminating
expert.
Note
also
that
there
is
no
mention
of
the
number
of
Douglas
fir
floor
molds
added.
2x
refers
to
the
type
of
lumber,
as
in
2x6.
One
was
added
at
the
each
of
the
removed
floors
from
the
original
grid.
Additionally,
I
added
a
Douglas
fir
mold
in
the
fore

aft
direction
to
tie
in
the
ends
of
the
new
floors
to
each
other.
This
served
to
spread
out
the
load
from
the
ends
of
the
floors
to
avoid
hard
spots
or
stress
risers
in
the
hull.
Note
that
the
lamination
over
the
Douglass
fir
floor
molds
extended
across
that
entire
area,
including
the
hull
inner
skin.
We
tapered
out
the
edges
to
avoid
any
hard
spots
or
stress
risers.
Note
that
the
old
grid
was
replaced
and
the
cut
joints
were
ground
out
(with
a
taper)
and
the
taper
laminated,
in
order
to
restore
the
full
strength
across
the
joint.
I
would
argue
that
the
replaced
original
grid
is
as
strong
as
it
should
have
been
originally,
but
has
a
very
strong,
fully

laminated
to
the
hull
(not
glued)
floor
system
underneath.
I’m
glad
I
posted
that.
It
served
as
a
good
reminder
of
what
we
had
done
7+
years
ago!

Date Posted: 28 April 2015 at 8:16pm
Here's a post from the owner describing repairs before they did the bulb job

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=108 - http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=108

I remember discussing with John why he was going to add a bulb. He loved the boat and wanted to make it easier to sail for him and his wife. They were getting on and still loved sailing but the boat was really too tender for them at that age. So they called up Bruce farr and Bruce agreed the boat could handle it easily. Hence how it all happened.

Date Posted: 26 July 2015 at 11:25pm
Update - I picked up Zapatero yesterday and she is now in the boatyard awaiting bottom paint, rigging and some other minor work.  Overall she is in dusty but in great condition and hope to be on the water in a week or so.  

Posted By: fatjohnz
Date Posted: 27 July 2015 at 9:12am
Congratulations Vance!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2015 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk