FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reaching spinnakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 6:35am
I am new to the Laser. On my 35 I had a asymmetrical reaching kite. It was a great addition. It worked when the wind was 80 to 120 true. I won overall a LOSH race with a fleet of 90 well sailed boats. I find the symmetrical spinnaker would not pay on angles more than 120 true. It feels fast but you are sliding sideways.
Mike

Edited by Mike V - 22 July 2013 at 6:40am
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 10:20pm
For point to point sailing an assymetrical is a very important sail.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 8:46pm
Rather than hijack the genoa vs lapper thread I thought I'd start a new one, anticipating a good debate on reaching spinnakers.

A good starting point  for reference is: http://www.ie.northsails.com/tabid/27006/Default.aspx

Earlier, fatjohnz stated, regarding his Code 0 which he attaches to the tack of the boat rather than a bowsprit:

"Its definitely a special purpose sail with specific attack angle. I mean if you try to sail too close to the wind, you lose the luff and if you sail too deep, the main will start to blanket.
When trimmed well, the apparent wind on the windex is a little forward of perpendicular. So its a reacher as advertised.
It covers the point of sail where you'd either have to ease a genoa to the point where its barely drawing or you're trying to hold a spinnaker with the pole all the way on the forestay. The code0 would eat that point of sail up."

It's worth noting that the code 0 seems to have a smaller wind range than a symmetrical code 1 (40-85 vs 60-120).

The North Sails rep has quoted me $2300 for a symmetrical Code 1S sail, so that's a pricey special purpose sail ; but under the right circumstances, I think this would do well.

Fatjohnz: Does your code 0 attach to the usual tack point on the bow and if so, I'm assuming you can tack it like a jib?  When using a Code 0 with a bowsprit, jibing is relatively straightforward but apparently tacking is quite a chore, because the forestay is in the way.  That's why Code 0's typically come with a built in furler.  Furl, tack/jibe, unfurl, voila!

I'm interested to hear people thoughts on different reaching spinnakers and the experiences they've had, either on Laser 28's or other boats.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic