FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hull fairing around saildrive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2016 at 8:21pm
Run it past  a PHRF measurer at your club  .  Only way to be sure . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 9:21pm
Frank when you modified Voila did you suffer a PHRF rating hit?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by bal149 bal149 wrote:

Chris, I guess you did not read my previous post..

Nope I'd read it, but we noticed the small area of the rubber peeling off at the last day prior to launch and 4200 was all I had available.  I figured it might hold for a year especially since it was just a small area.  Clearly not the case...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 8:57pm
Chris, I guess you did not read my previous post..
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 6:33pm
They shipped me a single can right to my door - I will see if I still have the contact name I used  for you if you are interested .  Seems to hold really well .  Not cheap as they send you a quart where you need about an ounce . 

As to modifying the skin fitting , not sure that is legal under PHRF I would check first  . I would think you become a non-standard boat having modified the hull fittings  and open to a protest , or you will take a hit for it up front  . Same as if you modified a shaft strut ,  keel or rudder attachment  reducing drag.  Not to mention the motor and drive moves around . Bukh did not put a flexible fitting   there for no reason . 

Back to the installation. I sanded the area down to gel coat  , inter-protected the entire well , the sail drive and the area the glue would attach to, then followed the glue instructions that came with the can.  Bonded instantly. One season so far and it seems as good as when I put it on, but time will tell. 

Good luck and good sailing whatever you decide to do . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 1:42pm
I installed a new saildrive membrane before launch in 2014, using the guidelines posted here and I thought I did a very good and thorough job.  Nonetheless, mine is peeling off again after only three seasons, implying I did it wrong although I find that hard to believe.  I was very particular.

I also contacted Krayden and they have the glue (1 litre) at $34.50 but only seem to want to sell it to me in a case of 12!

Since I race PHRF, I think I'll explore Frank's method of a more permanent solution to this so I never need to worry about this rubber again...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2016 at 12:18pm
Update , the  Bostik 1685MC held great , on just as solid as when it went in . 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 3:07pm
The original seal is glued on by a Bostik product that is no longer available here in north america  (A3) - European boats can still get it but it is not safe to air ship so we can't . Crinmar used to supply it with a new seal . Bostik themselves recommended a replacement product called 1685MC which I used this year . It is an industrial contact cement product used to glue on mop heads - very waterproof .  I will let you know how it held up when I pull the boat on Monday but it was still on solid when I dove on the boat at Can Am .  Still have some left if you are anywhere near Niagara Falls . 

Edited by John Mills - 24 September 2016 at 3:08pm
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2016 at 12:06am
Chris,

They use a special silicon adhesive for that. I don't have a rubber seal on the bottom so I can't help you unless you want to change to my method of dealing with it. I never liked that rubber thing down there.

Frank
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 11:41pm
Follow up: Tried using 4200 to patch down the loose part and see if it would last the season and it did not.  Peeling off again.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:55am
I use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive for automobiles and have not had a problem.
Dick #122
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:00pm
It's not likely to change so just use it and prepare to replace it in a year or two.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:39pm
I'm launching in a couple of days and just noticed that part of my sail drive membrane us no longer adhered to the hull (about 1/8 of the entire membrane). I'm all out of the bostick glue. Anything else I can use in a pinch?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 7:02am
Available at Krayden in the US, they will ship it right to your door . I have lots as it comes in a quart can if anyone needs some and is close to Niagara Falls . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 11:13pm
no, for 4200 ,previous owner did this and it came apart, being a bitch to clean up. Used the Bostik and no problems since then.

Edited by bal149 - 10 May 2016 at 11:03pm
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 9:16pm
How about 3m 4200?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:12pm
John where did you acquire this new glue from?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 6:07pm
Apparently the glue you use is very important and is no longer available here in North America , still available in Europe but it is not safe  to air ship although Bill said it can still be gotten . It was  Bostik A3 according  to Crinmar (who can't get it either)  . 

So I did some leg work and contacted Bostik for a north american alternative and they were helpful suggesting a product called 1685MC, used industrially to bond mop heads .  Supposedly very water proof , this is my first year trying it and I will report any problems ,  it bonded extremely well  could not pull it off but the water test this year will tell . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 9:22pm
yes. No problem.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:00pm
I will be replacing my membrane tomorrow, the old one is starting to split fore and aft of the opening.

Just double checking, can the membrane slip over the lower unit of the saildrive? or is there some removal required?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic