Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

headsail track usage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2015 at 2:11am
Keep the upper track if you still have a full 155 Genoa. It gives you the possibility of building more shape into the sail in light air. I took mine off, but have since started using a jury-rigged in hauler. If I had the track I would use it.
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2015 at 9:58am
OK.  I'll keep em' for future reference. 

Thanks
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
silversailor View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2015 at 10:06pm
Does anyone use adjustable genoa cars on the longer silver track?
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2015 at 11:14pm
Silver,

There are many here more experienced than I, but hey, I'm up.  If you are referring to the track that runs like a toe rail of the boat, I wouldn't subject it to much load.  In my experience, running foresail blocks outboard on that track would not help your genoa sail shape any way.
My boat came with some pin stop type cars (very small) that attach to the toe rail. You may notice multiple shallow holes where the pin would catch to hold.  I believe the original intent of the small adjustable car that fits that the toe rail was for spin tweaker blocks.  There have been reports of that track tearing away under loads from spin tweaker blocks. 
Or maybe your talking about some other track...carry on....

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 12:16am
Ron, I'm talking about adjustable cars (not tracks). These are cars that would replace the pin stop cars and be adjustable from the cockpit. Garhauer, Harken and others make these genoa cars.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 12:39am
Yeah I get that....I think my concern with the track stability and sail shape is germane to the cars question.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 6:30am
I had the adjustable cars on my 35 and I loved them. I was considering installing them on the Laser. i still have to many other projects to finish first. If you pull the trigger invest in ball bearing cars. My friend installed the harken retro fit cars and they do not move well.

Edited by Mike V - 17 April 2015 at 6:33am
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 7:36am
I installed the Garhauer adjustable cars on my Hanse 37 last yr. Should have done it yrs ago. Work great. Considering purchase of L28. Downsizing.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:03am
On other boats I have had adjustable cars (by adjustable I assume we are talking about adjustable "on-the-fly". They were useful on my Beneteau 42, and on my Quarter Tonner I used adjustable barber haulers to hold and adjust the genoa/jib car. However on a small boat such as a Laser, one is adding more strings to clutter the deck. We know where we want the car given the wind conditions, and we do have a way to in-haul, which is very simple when we want to use it on the genoa for shaping, but in general I feel there is more virtue in keeping the deck as clean as possible. Adjustable cars add more hardware and running rigging. They must have a purchase system, anchors in the deck, plus a cleat. These add more stuff to trip over, plus more lines to trap dirt on the deck. We have considered all kinds of things to improve the deck on the Laser and are not afraid of modifying to make the boat more efficient. However, the idea of adjustable cars has never come up. If one wants to make the change, the crew just moves the car position on the lazy side and its good for the next tack.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:09am
One more thing: If one wishes to get the clew out, which would presumably be when head sail reaching, then it is better to place an "eye" in the deck near the outside and haul to that. The outside rail provided on the Laser will not take any load at all. You can use it more as a handy place to put rings for perhaps tying fenders, or securing lines in front to keep your sails on deck when fying the kite. We have removed those rails in that part of the boat anyway in order to make hiking more comfortable and it also keeps the deck from accumulating dirt which is otherwise trapped there.
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:26am
Thanks. All points to consider.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:26am
How do you "in-haul"?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 11:51am
When I refurbished Voila 4 or 5 years ago I removed the upper track, which I now regret since we re-cut our genoa leach to trim in front of the spreader so that we can trim the genoa to about 5" inside the spreader tip. At the same time we shortened the LP measure slightly, raised the clew about 6 or 7" so that the sail still trimmed to the lower track car, and we raised the tack on the sail by 8", but still fly the sail in the same place by having added an 8" strop to the tack so that the tack just rides 8" above the deck. This allowed the sail to measure down to Code 4 under PHRF and allows us to point considerable higher. It also gives the #1 much greater wind range than a 153 or 155% sail because we can trim it in so much tighter. We find that given the breadth of the spreaders on the Laser, one doesn't really point with a full #1, but one is actually fetching and since the sail has to actually be relieved so that one doesn't punch a hole in it with the spreader, the draft moves aft, the sail becomes more full from top to bottom also, and the boat then heals more and slips to leeward. Voila now points with the best of them, and we are happy to lose a little sail area to get the ability to point, which otherwise we found a frustrating situation in the #1 conditions.

However, in very light air, we found that pulling the sail in and down to the lower track tends to flatten the sail too much for light air, and also closes the leach up top, so we wanted to be able to develop a bit more twist in the light air condition and needed to in haul the clew. I cringe to tell you how we are doing it, because it is pretty Mickey Mouse, but until we are certain as to what we want to do, we in haul to a teak handrail on the cabin top to which we have lashed a block. Most Lasers don't have a teak handrail, but someone put this on before we purchased the boat, and we sort of like it. In light air, there is not much strain on the in haul system, and we have the in haul block on an adjustable bridle tied between two of the uprights on the teak rail, so whatever strain there is is taken up by two screws. We just did this to experiment during one race, and then left it like that. I will see if I have a photo of it, and if so will try posting it. Clearly, if one still has the top genoa track, that becomes the obvious tool to use.

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 3:39pm
Love your explanation! And definitely want to see the pictures.   What was the PHRF result with the new headsail?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 6:21pm
Going from a Code 5 to a Code 4 was worth 3 PHRF points, which in our locality translates to about 5.24 seconds per PHRF point per hour, so say 16 seconds per hour. We think we go uphill faster, or have better VMG, even in drifting conditions, because once the boat starts to move we can point much higher. Plus, with 6 on board, we don't change down until we see 20 apparent. It continues to be the sail of our choice in the 16-18 apparent range, as where with the 155 you can't make it effective past 12.5 apparent when the boat slips sideways. The reason is not because of the reduced sail area, it is because we can sheet it in much tighter and make it more blade shape. In the 16-18 apparent range, we still have the main sail sheeted all the way in, and the boat really trucks.

I might, however, mention that Bill Layton tried this idea by cutting down an older genoa he had, and he found that while he could out point another friendly Laser, he said that the other Laser still had overall better VMG with more boat speed, but less point. For whatever reason, that is not our experience. With a full Code 5, we just get killed by everything on the water going upwind and cannot be competitive with that sail. So much so that we would carry the lapper in as little as 7-8 knots because we could point with it and if the water was not rough, it was faster than the #1.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2015 at 8:56pm
Not sure what a code 4 or code 5 is but on your last sentence .....
I have loved the snot out of my #1 for so many years for speed but you just can't make it point. You can sail on the leech and convince yourself your pointing but for me,, it was a delusion.
I have a lapper that is cut to be a powerhouse and it just seems to be the better all-around-option. There's no second guessing when the lapper is your biggest headsail; and the boat points like a mean teacher. js
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 12:25am
I think you and I are on the same page. I have often dreamed of a power lapper to act as the #1, and perhaps switching to a Code 6 main (one size up from class) to remain even on the PHRF numbers. One of the Laser owners here does have a class lapper made by Evolution, and it is definitely cut more fully that mine. Speaking with Bill, he designed that sail to maximize what could fit in the slot. If you use something like that, you will know that in light air the top batten frequently gets stuck against the mast and will not come through. In light air we have to seriously backwind that sail to get it to tack. However, down at the clew, I note that we could take the clew back another 22 inches and still fall into the Code 3 category in PHRF. If I thought there was a way to said light air with a maximized lapper that clewed inside the shrouds, I would use it. Note the class lapper clews quite forward on the forward track. I always wonder if it could come back, though realistically the real power in the sail is not at the deck level, but in the upper 2/3.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:04am
The class Lapper was designed by Bruce Farr and as Frank says it's not the LP that makes it work but rather the max girths. This sail is designed so that it has the largest girths possible and will sheet 8.5" inside the spreader. FYI tacking it isn't an issue when the foredecker holds down the clew and walks it fwd a few feet. This sail can be raced at 8.5 knots and up. The class genoa is 0-12 true. However at 12 knots the Lapper has a slight edge pointing. Under 11 knots we have no issues pointing with other fast PHRF boats while using our Lower tracks.

Using a Genoa on the Lower track that was not designed for it will be flat and slow and we've seen lots of Genoas by other makers that fall into this category. Our Genoas are designed to fit both the upper original tracks and the Lower tracks. To simplify this, speed is point. If your sail is too flat or if it's not designed to sheet on the Lower track it, then it won't work. And if it has the wrong shape it won't work on the upper track either.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 8:15am
When I first got my boat it came with an 'oversize' main; it had quite a roach on top. But try and try and try, I was never satisfied with the shape and the way it trimmed.
To get the top battens parallel to the boom, you had to really crank the mainsheet which would overtrim the lower portions of the sail and bend the mast (which is not what I wanted). Not to mention hanging up on the backstay during tacks and putting sail area up high which made it harder to keep the boat flat.
My newest main, (which we now call patches after 5 seasons), does not have a roach and its easy to get a nice consistent draft from top to bottom. So even though its not oversize its really efficient and pulls the boat like a champ. js
js
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2015 at 10:59am
I wish we had the ability to compare sails, boats, etc, that we have here on the West Coast, with those that sail so competitively on the East Coast. Speaking to Bill, and other owners of top performing Lasers such as Colibri, they both enjoy their Evolution Genoa's (Colibri's may still have the Quantum label, but were from the same loft), and both seem to be able to point with other competitive boats. Though I think other boats that sail in the East also use other sail makers sails and are competitive, presumably with sails similar in design or copied from Evolution, or Bill's designs. That said, it is commonly heard from other Laser owners who are not in those One-Design fleets in Toronto and Montreal that they can't point with anybody in PHRF fleets when using their #1's, ourselves included. So either we don't know how to sail our boats, or all of us are working with inferior cut genoa's. Our genoa was originally a 153, cut by a Quantum loft, clearly not using Bill's design (though when I ordered it I thought all Quantum lofts had access to each other's design information) and we just got killed in #1 conditions even against "true dogs" in the fleet. Nothing would make the boat point until we cut that sail down and got the leach forward of the spreaders so we could get it in. I wish, I wish, I wish we had a modern Evolution sail of Bill's design here to try, but am loath to spend the money on a new hi-tech material sail that I fear won't point in our fleet. For reference a sampling of our Div 3 PHRF fleet includes Santana 30-30's, Spencer 36, C&C35 M-I, Frers 30, custom Tuloos 27, Custom Yamaha 36 with Jespersen Keel and hi-rig (almost unbeatable with PHRF of 115), J-30, two J-29's, Hotfoot 31. There are others, but it really doesn't matter.......they all killed us in #1 conditions unless it was just in ghosting conditions 0-4, when the Laser just moved a little easier. But in anything else, we just could not compete until we got into Lapper conditions, so much so that we only used our Genoa in super light conditions.

And just because it is early Saturday morning and I'm up early, I'll keep this thing going. The Laser was not originally designed to carry a Genoa, but meant to sail with the Lapper as its largest foresail. That being the case, the rig is built very light and is stayed by a seriously wide set of spreaders, necessitating the wide-set of the shrouds at the deck level. If the boat had been designed to carry a Genoa, it would have probably been double spreaders that were much narrower with the shrouds terminating directly against the corner of the cabin top and deck. The chainplates on the Laser are 11 degrees off center, where modern racing boat are now 7 and even in the day of the Laser they were somewhere around 9. But with the Laser the shrouds are in the way of the foot even when trimmed to the genoa block at 11. That at least creates a mental picture as to why we think it can't point. Then one speaks with Bill or Simone who are always at the top of the fleet, and they make their boats sail well against everything. So, Voila is currently a bit stalled in its sail development program, and the time is coming to make some decisions. Our genoa, since we cut it down, sees a lot of action and and was built in 2010 with almost no usage in the first two years when it was a 153. Now it is used most of the time and is breaking down. John, your own experience with an over-sized Main is very interesting as well, because any modern racing yacht today would be rigged with a larger main than ours. On the other hand, they would also have better balast/displacement ratio's. The Laser's is awful. The designed balast ratio was based on a boat that was supposed to weigh 3950 lbs, but in racing configuration, our Lasers weigh over 4600 lbs. Our keels were extremely small in area to start with, so the boat will go sideways if not kept upright, which also affects what can be done with the sail plan. So many variables!

All said, Voila remains a competitive machine as currently sailed, but is not simple to get the best performance from her. It is not a boat that sail's herself to the top of the fleet. We all could benefit from some sailing experience with the likes of Bill and those Laser sailers with crews and sails that really know how to make them go.

Good weekend to all.......we are off to go sailing!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic