Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

water in the oil?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:06am

The surface looks fine, some light cleaning with a nylon brush to clean the remnants of the head gasket, but I see no pitting or discoloration.

The gasket materiel I mention was the head gasket. There was significant amount flakes of it in the lower port side of the block. Not sure what to call it (water jacket?) but these are the ports that circle the big single cylinder which water would flow around to keep the big piston cool.  Other than using a small tool, is there a better way of clearing these out, air compressor?

The carbon I am referring to is where the exhaust elbow connects to the cylinder head.

The area where the thermostat housing sits looks ok, I put a new seal on the bottom of the housing, but I was still getting some leakage around the base of the housing. Unbolted it, rebolted it and I think it resolve the problem. Looking down into the cylinder head where the housing sits there is rust, but nothing that is flaking off. Last month, I pulled the housing and gave it and the thermostat a vinegar bath, checked the thermostat function and checked all the hoses including the hose and nipple off the lowest point of the cylinder head. All were clear and maybe a teaspoon of rusty sediment accumulated in the nipple of the bottom hose, but not enough to restrict flow.

Last month I asked about the exhaust elbow, the old one which I replaced had several cracks in it. I was worried it may have been due to overheating, and this may tie in with the other observations I made; loose head gasket material in the cooling ports on the cylinder block, gear oil blowing out that same area and the exhaust value leaking water around it’s spring. So maybe this is the area where the gasket failed.

The idea of the cracked cylinder head is a concern because it’s a 2100.00 part. Makes one lose a little sleep over it…..

Email address is mark@powwowcountry.com

Thanks

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:34am
From everything you have said it just sounds like a blown head gasket or a leak in that area. This would usually be caused by an over heating event. Rust blockage at the cooling water outlet, or perhaps on the intake side. Check intake filter. Or, perhaps, the head bolts had insufficient torque on them. You will find that the manual suggests re torquing the bolts after the first 10 hours of service. Perhaps the last guy did not do that. On heating and use, the head gasket compresses a little and SOP is to re tighten.

When you re assemble, use aviation gasket sealant on every gasketed surface, but not on the head gasket. I spread anti-cease grease on the length of the head studs when I reassembled to try to prevent them binding to the cylinder in the future, though I hope not to have to disassemble again in my lifetime.

Have you checked the rings on the piston to see that they compress and de compress smoothly within their grooves? Also, check to see if there is any small ridge at the top and bottom of the cylinder where the rings stop and change direction in each stroke to determine cylinder. I'm guessing that they look pretty smooth.

You may as well try my idea with the dye, but I don't think the head is cracked.

I was a little confused when you said that the leak was not evident at the head gasket. If there were bits of the head gasket in the cooling ports then surely it had failed.

I will send you some pictures, but it sounds now like you are on top of it. You can clean out the ports using a wire brush. I forget their size. Maybe the brush used to go down the bore of a 20 guage shotgun would be perfect. If not, perhaps a 410.

Get the bits from Keith on their way and re assemble.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:51am
This may sound blunt but did you use a metal straight edge like a ruler and run it over the cleaned surface of the head and the cleaned surface of the cylinder. We call these areas the deck. They must be flat with no concavities. To prepare those surfaces for a straight edge one must sand those surfaces with emery paper to get all the buildup and carbon off first. Warpage is very hard to see, so have a bright light on the other side of the ruler helps.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:27pm

Progress report, I have order a new cylinder head and the gaskets that are required. I removed the frozen bolts and removed the block. the piston rings were loose and not frozen in the groves of the piston. The piston looks to have a little rust between the rings. I suppose I need to clean this as well, Emery cloth and oil? The cylinder looks fine, but I have yet to do measurements per the book, I haven’t notice any lips inside the cylinder. Also the book says to change rings if the gap is greater than 2mm. Ok so gap between what and what?

Another question, I was warned and the book also states to be sure not to mix up the push rods, I haven’t but they are both of the same length and have the same part number on it. If you check the parts lost the book does not differentiate between the rods. So I just double checking.

Another observation, I cleaned out the water ports on the cylinder by flushing it out with water and lots of junk came out, enough to fill up your hand.

Thanks for your input.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:01am
It a little shocking to see that much rust from fresh water operation. Now you can easily see how these flakes can plug the 1/4" hole on the nipple located on the exhaust elbow when the cooling water returns to the exhaust. That is why I suggest a filter just before the exhaust elbow. It is so easy to install. One hack saw cut, filter and two hose clamps...done!

If the rings are moving, I would not pull them out. Just spray it all with some WD-40 all around those rings for now so that the rust does not build while exposed. That rust will go away when the engine starts running again. It is only there because of the vapor that was getting in there owing to the cracked head. The 2mm gap they refer too is where the ends of the ring come together.......almost come together. When the rings are compressed back into the cylinder, that gap is reduced to almost nothing and when replacing with new rings, if you don't have that 2mm gap, the ring ends will come together before the ring's circumference is reduced sufficiently to fit into the cylinder bore. In that case, those ends are carefully filed a bit to get the 2mm. If the old rings are to be re used you don't have to worry about this. Just try to keep the rings in the same position as when you pulled the cylinder off and try not to rotate them when you put the cylinder back on. The reason is that the rings and cylinder walls have worn to a perfect fit with each other through engine use. They are perfectly matched in their existing position. They cannot re mate properly with each other from further use unless the walls are honed and you are not planning on that which would also require new rings, etc. Keep it simple and keep the rings just as they were in their grooves.

My advice to keep the push rods in the same position as they came out may be overkill, but when we did not know that you were going to install a new head, it would have assured no change to the valve clearance in the lifted position, which is critical. Since you are going with a new head, you are going to have to go through that exercise anyway. You will need a feeler gauge. Get a cheap one because as I remember you may have to bend the last 1/2" of the correct tabs on the gauge to clear the face where the valve cover fits in order to make the measurement. You will see what I mean when you get there.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 2:12am
I forget how long you have owned this boat. However as there is a bit of down time on the boat at the moment, I want to suggest that you take off the propeller and do a continuity check between the inside of the splined shaft bore and the outside of the main hub of the prop. This will be done with the ohm setting on a simple volt meter. Many of the old propellers have lost their electronic isolation between these these and while it is not as critical in fresh water as in salt water, I have seen advanced electrolysis damage to one lower unit that was used exclusively in fresh water. It is possible that the damage I saw occurred at some ancient time in that boat's history when it may have been in salt water, but it still leads me to consider that this may have happened in lake water because I can see that it had only been in fresh water for at least 10 years. Also, is there any deterioration at all that can be seen on the sail drive casing? This is just a safety check for the moment.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:29pm
Frank/Bill: I'm doing some work on my engine at the present time (nothing as extensive as this fortunately but I did have to replace my muffler) and have two questions:

1) What is the best process to ensure I don't have any gunk or metal flakes etc in my water cooling lines?  I've just replaced the cooling water drain hose and the cooling water outlet hose so those are fine.  Are there any other critical areas I should check?
2) Can you elaborate on the "filter before the exhaust elbow" comment you made above? I'm assuming you're talking about the point where the drain hose attaches the the 90 degree bend and goes into the exhaust pipe?  Where can I find such a filter?

Sorry to seemingly hijack this thread but my question seems related so I though it'd be OK to put here.

Thanks

Edited by Winner - 18 May 2012 at 10:30pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:49pm
If you have the head and cylinder off, change the rings-the labour is essentially done, the cost is significant but worth the peace of mind
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:22pm
The little in-line strainer is from Shurflo. Check out westmarine.com and do a search for Shurflo. Then the West Marine model part # WM7877921, manufacturer's number MFG Part # 255-323. Cost is $11.99.

You are correct that I suggest putting this little thing in-line just before the cooling water enters that little barbed fitting on the exhaust elbow. When you remove the 1/2" hose that carries the water, you will see how small the hole is on that little fitting. 1/4" at best. It just takes a couple of flakes of rust and your cooling water will be stopped, head gasket will be toast, and all the other stuff that follows. It is cheap insurance.

When you open the little box for this thing it will say to locate it only on the intake side, and then there is a little arrow indicating the direction of the flow. For sure make sure the arrow is pointed in the direction of the flow, but ignore their advice not using it on the discharge side. It is just a simple strainer and debris trap. It worked very well for me before I converted to a heat-exchanger and started running anti-freeze. I cleaned it out several times and it was definitely doing its job. With two hose clamps in hand and a hack saw, installation is 5-minutes.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:33pm
Regarding inspection for rust flakes, the junction where the 1/2" hose re-enters the exhaust at the exhaust elbow may reveal some flakes there. Take that hose off and have a look. Blow through it and see what comes out. Stretch it out straight and have a look down it.

Of course this is all after the cooling. In a recent post Bill Layton suggested a plate on the head where rust flakes accumulate if they are present. I just researched a bit, but failed to find that post. Suggest you look back a little to find it. Meanwhile, these discussions don't go too far before bill jumps in to assist. Bill?????????
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:40pm
Found Bill's comment. Currently you are asking about a cooling water subject, but we are in a "water-in-the-oil" subject. Research the subject, "Engine Cooling Water Pump" and you will find Bill's advice posted 11 April.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:57pm
Yes indeed I had that apart today at the barbed fitting into the exhaust elbow.  The hose was looking a bit worn so I replaced it.  No rust was apparent and yup, that's a very small opening!  Weak link in the cooling chain for sure.

No West Marine where I live here in TBay but I'll ask around town or order online for that part.  Probably the best $12 you could ever spend for that type of insurance! 

I found Bill's other post, thanks.

Last question: that Shurflo part has 1/2" barb in but 1/2" NPS female out.  I would think I'd need a 1/2" barb out if it's inline.  Do I need to buy a 1/2" NPS male to 1/2" barb adaptor as well?

Edited by Winner - 19 May 2012 at 12:07am
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 1:44am
I have mine in front of me. It is not a Shurflo. Go to stevestonmarine.com and I went to the Canadian site. Under their plumbing items they show the strainer as a model# AA18523 with 1/2" barbs on both sides. Price $17.25.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 2:42pm

Finally getting around to replacing the Cylinder back onto the Motor. However now I have a drain plug (brass) that is stripped. Not the brass, but the drain hole where the brass plug goes into. So my 3 thoughts are;

1. use west system 105/205 and epoxy the thing in there, since I will never see it removed again in my life time. And you still can drain the water (the plug has 2 more nuts on it which once removed the water drains.)

2. epoxy the hole and retap it, be sure to blow out the loose epoxy.

3. retap the hole one size up and use a regular brass bolt.

Is there a fourth option? Also while I am familiar with west system 105 and 205, and use it for other projects, I never have applied to this type of fix. Will this work?

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 2:50pm
All options seem viable. The better epoxy to use for this would be J-Weld and thicken with high density filler if necessary.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:08pm
I would suggest that you re-tap one size up but use a pipe thread tap, this is a tapered tap and then get a pipe thread plug that matches at any plumbing outlet and you'll be fine. The reason it's stripped is because the threads were rusty, epoxy is unlikely to form a good bond on rust.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:14pm

Used JB Weld before, I have more confidence with that. Going with this option.

Just an update, I received the head back from the shop on friday, however I am waiting on the diesel shop for the fuel injector. Being it was off I took it in to have it tested and serviced, the nozzle turned out to be bad, so Keith was happy to sell me a new one. I will get this on Tuesday and take it to the shop. I was hoping to have everything else back together today, but re-reading the manual I see that I need to measure the amount that the injector protrudes into the head. So today I will work on reinstalling the cylinder and piston. Just as well I have only so much "mechanical patience."

Other thoughts on the cylinder, I have coated the threads with anti-sieze but was considering coating the non threaded portion of the bolt with grease or maybe the anti seize, the dry rust made it difficult to remove the bolts from the cylinder.

The book talks about shiming the cylinder so that there a set gap between the piston and the head. Since no one has mentioned this, I am assuming every one else ignored this part as well?

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:32pm
If neither the cylinder head, nor the head surface was milled down, then shimming should not be necessary. If it was just milled a little to clean it up, also no problem. This will be determined by how much the piston protrudes above the cylinder when at top dead center before putting the head back on.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:34pm
If you haven't machined the deck on your cylinder or changed the piston then all you need to do is put back the same gaskets or if new the same thickness. Because nothing will have changed
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 3:42pm
Sorry Frank didn't see your post when I posted last Wink

Edited by Bill Layton - 27 May 2012 at 3:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic