Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing shaft seal on Bukh DV10LSME Saildrive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 9:49am
I have both manuals in .pdf format,  parts manual and workshop manual I can email if anyone needs them.
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2016 at 1:01pm
That is great - good luck with your repair 

Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 4:08pm
To loosen the Allen screws, I would suggest a small impact driver as used in motorcycle repair. One hits the end with a hammer which not only turns the screw but drives it inward. They are less drastic than air powered impact drivers. These were very popular when Philips head screws were used as they prevented stripping the head.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 4:33pm
I would not suggest a small impact driver as the screw goes into heli-coils which is threaded into aluminium. I've taken many of the cap screws out with just an allen key that fits a ratchet and they always come out. Just be sure to clean the paint out from where the allen key fits into first so that so the key fits all the way in.

Edited by Bill Layton - 11 February 2016 at 12:41pm
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 5:23pm
Thanks guys.  I'm waiting on a little help from a mechanically inclined friend to crack the drive open, but I was able to get the allen screws and the flathead screw loose without incident.  It was surprisingly easy. Next warm up, I'll get inside and replace parts.  One note, my allen screws were 5mm, not 6.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2016 at 6:56pm
The small impact drivers are used for 5 and 6 mm screws that are threaded into aluminum. what they really do well is keep the the bit from twisting on the screw head. 

Edited by bal149 - 05 February 2016 at 6:58pm
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2016 at 12:40pm
Yes they are designed to reduce twisting and damaging of the screw head and also mostly used for philips screw heads. Our saildrive's stainless cap screws are torqued onto stainless heli-coils and not aluminum hence no galvanic corrosion found there. Stainless to aluminum is another situation which luckily we don't have. I recently took apart a few 30 year old saildrives that had never been apart and spent their lives in the tropics in saltwater. The cap screws came out as easily as one found in freshwater. 

Originally posted by bal149 bal149 wrote:

what they really do well is keep the the bit from twisting on the screw head. 
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 5:42pm
This is what my sail drive looks like right now.  I thought I was looking at the aft end of the bearing housing, but this looks different than the replacement bearing I have.  Perhaps there is another part covering the bearing housing and the bearing housing will reveal itself when I open the SD....or has someone replaced in the past not using original equipment?  Just trying to get my ducks in a row before I open her up.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/YvZk6lhBHUl4rUZ7xmRFhsfY5TJclRbYnqyqLaNwLcK?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

The bearing housing I have as a replacement looks like this

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/SXZcBXNRq1dLJlV57p9lERBs6UZD3LIw9INW7DP8KsD?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 6:04pm
Hi Ron.

Both pics look perfect. In fact the pic of your existing bearing housing looks perfect. Usually we see corrosion and I see none on your existing one. So can I ask why you have decided to change it? Is water getting into the leg?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:43pm
Your existing one is the best I have seen for being old. It is likely that the seal is worn. Easiest thing for you to do is to just put your new one in that has a new seal in it. That bit you have costs about $300. On the other hand, if you want to keep the old one, just take it out, chuck it up in a lathe, and deepen the bore at the back by about 1.2mm, then buy two 17x30x5mm seals and stick them in back-to-back and reassemble. The seals will be about $4 each.

The other places water can get in is at the oil drain screw. Typically this has a hard fiber washer that is meant to seat and seal, but with several removals, etc, perhaps it has been replaced with a ss washer or something with no flex and give leading to a leak, or something simple like that. Easy fix. Last place to leak other than the seal is the flange that separates the lower cap on the leg, but there is no reason for that to develop a leak unless it was not assembled correctly by someone along the boat's history.

Otherwise, you leg and seal look great. As Bill said, most have some electrolysis issues at the back end. When the Anode fails, the back portion of that seal and bearing assembly seem to become the new sacrificial anode.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:51pm
Yes.  Water in the leg.  I put a diaper around the drive and the leak was identified right at the bearing housing.  The drain plug did not leak.  It has the appropriate Bukh washer.  The guy that had the boat before me was great for buying spare parts.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2016 at 7:55pm
Thanks for the info guys.  I think what I will do is put the new one on, and refurb the old one for next time.  My boat was only in salt water for a total of about 12 months on two separate launches.  I'm sure that helps with corrosion.  The boat started in Lake Erie, then Flathead Lake, then Florida (Salt), then back to fresh water here on the Ohio River.  I'm happy to read that you guys think it looks good.

Thanks again,

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 9:43am
Couple more questions....

I gather there will be a gasket on the bearing cap?  Is the gasket something that can be purchased from Crinmar, or do I need to cut one?  Any idea of thickness?

Second, in the photo below, I'm struggling to understand exactly what I am looking at on the shaft, inside of the bearing housing.  What is the flat washer looking part with the metal hook welded to the bottom?  I don't see anything that looks like that piece in the manual drawings, nor does my new bearing/seal resemble that on the end. 

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/YvZk6lhBHUl4rUZ7xmRFhsfY5TJclRbYnqyqLaNwLcK?_encoding=UTF8&mgh=1&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy&v=grid

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 9:57am
(on the old bearing housing) That is a circlip that holds in place the flat washer. The flat washer protects the seal. The pic of your new bearing housing shows a different circlip with two holes in it. However that new bearing housing is missing the flat washer. You can use the flat washer from the old one.

There is no gasket only a rubber O-ring. 
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 10:29am
Ahhh...Good on the washer.  I had that suspicion, thanks for confirming.  

Thank you for your kind offer via PM.  I will do that.  As you can probably tell this job makes me nervous. I would gladly pay someone to do this, but I can not find anyone locally that has any better knowledge or experience than what I have found in this forum.  

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2016 at 12:41pm
No need to be nervous. However please do follow instructions I provided on removing the shaft when you take the bottom off the leg so that you do not lose the correct spacing on the gears. I would say that in keeping your project simple, that is the most important move. The method of re-aligning the gears on the shaft (if you let that assembly fall apart all over the dock) requires procedures that are more easily and accurately done with the entire leg on a work bench. Let's avoid that.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 9:00am
Just about done with the bearing/seal replacement.  Put it back together yesterday, so I need to put the final tighten on the allen screws today.  We had one snafu during the process.  We found that we did not have to take the gears out of the drive. We cracked the bottom off, lowered the gears just enough to slide the old bearing off the shaft, then snuck the new one in without disturbing anything.  We cleaned all the surfaces, screws and holes where old lock tight and gasket gook was.  Snafu- In my haste to get things done while assistants arms grew weary holding the gears in place, we did not notice the spacers on the old bearing/seal.  The new bearing did not come with them. So we put it back together, then took a closer look at the old one. WHOOPS!  Back apart, cleaned up and added the spacers to the new bearing. Second time around we did the job in about 30 minutes. We shifted (motor off) a few times and we seem to have neutral, forward and reverse.  After I tighten and add oil, I'll put the diaper back on to check for leaks....fingers crossed. 

Thanks for all the help.  

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 9:24am
Hi Ron did you happen to take pictures through this process?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 9:50am
No pictures, and I felt guilty about that while we were doing the job.  The problem was, we would have needed another person to take the photos.  We intended to take some photos, but when we realized we could do the job without removing the gears at all, it took all our hands to hold things together, clean and replace.  Sorry.
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2016 at 11:46am
Well done! You were lucky to be able to get the seal off. Sometimes they are sort of glued onto the casing they sit into.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic