Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electrical question - Mast top light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electrical question - Mast top light
    Posted: 26 September 2018 at 2:36pm
Greetings all. Light at top of mast isn't working but it is the breaker switch that won't stay on for longer than ~5 seconds that seems to be the reason.  I can measure current going to the lines going up the mast until breaker pops and the light part way up mast facing forward is working.  I checked the back of the breaker box and don't see anything loose, touching other wires, etc. so I turn to the community and ask where shall I begin to track this down?   I replaced the bulbs (all of 'em!) to LED 3 years ago.  Thanks! 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2018 at 2:47pm
You have a short on the green wire. This is the positive wire for the anchor light at the top of the mast that is attached to the anchor light breaker. Somewhere between the breaker and the mast tip it's shorted to ground somehow. Check connections at the light to be sure it's not touching the gnd. If you can't find anything switch breakers and see what happens. If nothing, then replace the green wire. It's all anyone can do. Good Luck!
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 4:55pm
Thank you Bill!  I would say your response was illuminating but I'm fearful you will get short with me!  Smile
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 9:33am
This is a long shot Bill but one year we managed to step the mast and get the mast wiring pinched between deck plates. This caused the symptom you describe. js
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 9:44am
Agreed fatjohnz it's a likely spot, so are the solderless connectors in the light after 33 years. The green wire has been compromised.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 2:09pm
Thanks John (and Bill!) - I will go dig and hope I don't have to drop the mast!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic