Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Depth Sounder replacement?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Depth Sounder replacement?
    Posted: 03 September 2018 at 1:14pm
Greetings all.  I have had a "Standard Horizon DS 150 Digital Depth Sounder" that has given up the ghost, the screen has faded to nothing but the signal is still getting to it (can almost see the numbers but...) so what would this community suggest that would be (a) cost effective replacement option and (b) involve as little fuss as possible?    Thanks!!!  - bill 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 12:14pm
Follow up question to depth sounder question - I have been looking at several low cost options using an in-hull transducer but they note they are suitable for use in "NON-CORED hulls".  (manual here: http://cdnstatic.hodgesmarine.com/productmanuals/HAWDT1B-TMom.pdf )

So help me out please, our hull is cored isn't it?  Does anyone have any experience with in-hull units? I am looking for an inexpensive solution but am open to any ideas, I would like to get a new depth sounder/finder in place soon rather than later.   

Thanks!  - bill 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:03pm
I got a hawkeye with a 'glue in' transducer. I located the transducer right in front of the forward bulkhead in the center channel of the hull.
https://www.amazon.com/HawkEye-DT1B-DepthTrax-1B/dp/B000JEOEE0/ref=sr_1_6?s=marine&ie=UTF8&qid=1536943902&sr=1-6&keywords=depth+finders+for+boats
The transducer got knocked out of the epoxy a few times and I ended up holding it down w/ the mounting bracket. The transducer won't work if there is a void between it and the hull and I found that the little bit of water that collects in that area creates the physical continuity required for the transducer to work, (no epoxy needed).

btw, I'd really like to have my signet units working again but they got flaky and several trips to California for debug did not resolve the problems. $485 + $370 to replace the depth sounder and knot meter (and hope the problem is not caused by my electrical system).

Edited by fatjohnz - 14 September 2018 at 1:08pm
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:16pm
That is awesome John, thank you for the feedback!  I was worried that the hull would not allow that in-hull unit to work.  My knotmeter died a couple of years ago and I ended up replacing it with a battery powered combo compass/speedo from Velocitek (pre-speed puck) that is working fine still but this is good news, thanks again!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2018 at 1:20pm
One more question, I was going to locate this next to current transducer, under the starboard settee by mast ahead of keel.  Did the cable provided reach your cockpit?  I assume so but.....   :)
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 6:40pm
Quick update - all works fine and many thanks John for the input and guidance.  Only negative is the smaller display shows the space covered by the larger display for many years so the discolor is evident.  Small price to pay for knowing what's underneath!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic