Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Ring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Ring
    Posted: 18 April 2017 at 7:25pm
Sailors,
I remember a discussion about the ring between the rudder cap and the rudder mount. Does someone have a ring they would like to part with?
I could only search the forum for the past year. When I search all-time I get an error
Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005'
Invalid procedure all or argument: 'Mid'
/forum/functions/functions_format_post.asp, line 1020

I tried loggin out and login back in.
thank you, john
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2017 at 7:42pm
You have to have them made by a machine shop. They were different thicknesses. So you would need to measure up the space you need to fill or the broken washer. Here are the links describing what to do. They were stickies in the maintenance forum.

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9&title=l28-rudder-solutions

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17&title=rudder-solutions
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 6:55am
Just to clarify the question John, are you referring to the white plastic bushing between the rudder post and the cap that the handles attaches too?  If so I know where you can order them.  To Bill's point they were different sizes and I had to buy 4 and only used 1 so I may have what you need "in stock" so I can share the vendor I used or send you the extras I have.  - bill 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:16pm
Thanks for sharing the link Mr.Layton. I knew I had read the topic before but couldn't find the thread.
After Mr.Ryan's question I realize that I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

When I lift the rudder, there is 3/8" gap between the bottom of the rudder shaft cap and the deck housing. When I look down into the housing, I can see a dark washer. I don't see any white plastic bushing.

After reading the previous threads on the topic... I'm not sure what it is I want to do to raise the rudder a bit. Thanks in advance, john
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 3:29pm
Raising the rudder happens at the top end... under the rudder shaft cap there are plastic washers that fit over the rudder shaft underneath the cap. So that 3/8" gap you see is where the washers are supposed to be. If you add to many washers it lifts the rudder so there is no gap between the rudder spade and the hull and it'll make the rudder stiff because of lack of endplay. If there are not enough washers then there is a gap between the rudder and the hull and when you lift the rudder up and down (from outside you can hear it go clunk clunk which is a sign of too much endplay.  Call me if your still stuck
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:10pm
I have a couple of the ones I did not use and if you send me an email address I will take a picture tomorrow when I go to the boat and send it to you.  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2017 at 4:37pm
fatjohnz28 at gmail dot com
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2017 at 5:09pm
Lesson learned follow up:   I have replaced the rudder ring a little over a year ago but my rudder has been "weeping" water so this past fall it came off the boat and the old foam was replaced and the rudder was reinstalled.

Here is the lesson I share.  You can put the metal cap that cover the rudder post and allows the tiller to be attached on backwards.  2 tips to know if you did this, first if you need an extra ring/bushing where in the past you didn't and , second, if the tiller can touch the floor of the cockpit.  If you find either of these clues - stop!  Turn the cap around and try again.

Now, should you be so silly as to launch the boat and start sailing don't worry.  If you return to your launch ramp, back the boat in slowly and someone gets in the water and holds the rudder (a line under the bottom of rudder works too) you can quickly turn cap cover around, take out the extra spacer that you didn't need to buy and harmony will once again reign.   - bill  
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic