Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Removal
    Posted: 19 September 2016 at 9:36am
I need to pull my engine to have her rebuilt. I have two questions:

1. If the saildrive is left in place is there any reason I can't sail her without the engine? Or at least put her back in the water off the trailer? Once the engine is out I plan to bolt the saildrive back to the 'intermediate piece" which I believe will hold seal the membrane and prevent water from getting in the boat.   

2. I'm having trouble getting the two smaller bolts out that hold the sail drive and engine together. I already have removed the four larger bolts holding the saildrive / engine together. But the two smaller bolts are very hard to get at from under the boat. Is there a trick I'm missing?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 9:52am
The two small bolts don't need to be removed... only the 4 large bolts. You can rebolt the saildrive back in place without the motor but you need to brace the top of the leg inside the boat or it'll flop around and knock against the hull opening continually. This won't be easy to do. Most people leave it out of the water until the job is complete.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2016 at 2:02pm
Thanks Bill. Once I get the motor out I'll see about bracing the sail-drive.

ken
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2018 at 12:00pm
getting ready to pull the diesel, any advice? how much does it weigh? planning on using a buddies utility boom truck to get it out and off the boat. looks like the crank shaft is tapered? any pictures? what bolts other than motor mounts to separate? 
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2018 at 7:43am
You have to part the sail drive from the engine. I was able to get them from underneath with a long extension and universal. Then if I remember we blocked it so the base would clear the cradle and wrestled it forward onto the cabin floor.
It seemed top heavy to me so get a good lashing on it before you hoist.
What are you having done to the engine? john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic