Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

octopus drive on below decks auto-helm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: octopus drive on below decks auto-helm
    Posted: 27 March 2016 at 8:16pm
So this winter I installed a below decks auto - helm with a twist - an octopus drive , a Canadian made cable drive similar to what is used on outboards and out-drives so well proven  .  Computer and head are Simrad , drive is a type RS octopus cable drive specifically for sailboats .  Simrad/ B&G sells a version too Sd10 I think . 

I should add - the cable is a "serviceable item"  that according to the manufacturer "When installed and maintained correctly; the cable will have life of over 4000 hours use (20,000 miles at 5 knots average speed for cruising yachts)"  Given our short season , the fact that it on racing boats may often be disconnected, and the unlikely hood of an ocean crossing I don't see that as a problem on the Laser 28 .  Cable replacement is 2 bolt simple and  they are widely available .

Two nice things , when connected the resistance is just the cable not the motor to like every other drive I know of , so although you can certainly tell it is there is is not so bad for cruising/ delivery  or short handed/ long distance  racing . You just feel the resistance of a cable.  

As a big boat style auto as opposed to a tiller pilot  it can steer using the wind instrument if you want plus as it can handle up to a 38 foot boat and runs off a  fluxgate  compass with a rate sensor so it should not struggle in any way with the light helm on the Laser . Switching it on and off is just a button push unlike a tiller pilot . 

Best part is if you want it gone say for round the cans racing I installed a Nico removable  fan that allows you to reach in and pull the pin on the cable from at the helm  and preso no auto  at all - back to no resistance at all .  Plus ventilates boat at the very back .   Because there is no motor at the rudder   the cable just sits there attached to its bracket  and no heavy raymarine style drive to flop around  . Then the control head just becomes a digital compass . 

Motor is a small unit you can mount anywhere ( 0.25Ft2 footprint) , standard cable is 6 feet from rudder so mine is in engine compartment (weight out of stern) . I did not get the rudder feed back unit but it can be added and it mounts integral to the drive . 

So for cruising, long distance and short-handed racing auto is always there a button push away , for round the cans the head is a digital compass and there is no resistance at all because the drive is not connected at all . Can be reconnected anytime from at the helm although not something you would want to do during a race . 

Drive even when engaged is supposed to be able to be overcome in an emergency by just steering where you need to (significant resistance because motor is engaged ) and does not release immediately if you turn it off , you must jiggle the rudder to disengage so no course change until you are hand on tiller . That allows me to mount the control  head on the cabin bulkhead allowing me to see and use it as a digital compass when not an autopilot.  Computer with drive is on one breaker , head is on breaker with instruments so no current draw for Auto drive  unless  I want it but I still get the compass . 

Sea trails start soon but because it is a well proven Simrad control on a well proven drive system originally from the power boat world I anticipate no few issues beyond user error  . 

I can snap pics if anyone is interested . 

Edited by John Mills - 29 March 2016 at 12:26pm
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
John Mills View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:21pm
Update - works mint .  Tiller still moves with finger tips but does have some resistance , very minimal in my opinion  . Can be disconnected in seconds for racing without going below if you so desire although I find no need  at all.  The ease of an always there powerful auto helm without fumbling,  just hit a button is for me well worth the slight resistance of the cable .  I think nothing of just hitting the button and going forward anytime . When not using it as an auto, it is my digital compass . 
Unplugged
# 164
NOTL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic