Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips on spinnaker trim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips on spinnaker trim
    Posted: 29 September 2015 at 4:59pm
Hi everyone.  I am seeking tips on how to go fast downwind, getting tired of the S2 7.9's blowing past me and I am sure it is me and my lack of trim knowledge.  Point me to go fast references and tips on making the L28 go fast downwind.  Thank you all!  - bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2015 at 6:48pm
You looked OK last night!  Big smile
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2015 at 2:13pm
Wow! That's a big subject. In normal conditions, I don't think we treat Laser trim downwind much different than any other fractional rig trim. There are a thousand and one variables. If truly downwind (leeward mark is near 180 off the wind, depending on the strength of wind we may elect to sail DDW, whereas if light we sail higher. The lighter it is the higher we must sail to keep the boat moving most efficiently toward the mark. Then if the wind is sufficient to allow us to sail DDW, we look for maximum sail exposure of both the main and the spinnaker. If wind is stronger and the boats starts rolling, we bring the twiggers in s bit and strap things down a little. Other than that, downwind trimming tips are available on-line from all of the major sail makers. Just pick guidelines for a similar rig to our Laser and read-up from there. There are no silver bullets that I'm aware of regarding our Lasers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic