FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saildrive paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saildrive paint
    Posted: 29 September 2015 at 8:25pm
Thanks Dick.  I just had that very discussion with someone in the yard while I was waiting for the new prop to ship in.  
I think we met up in NY at the CANAM this year.  I crewed on "All Wound Up".

Ron

Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2015 at 6:02pm
Ron

If your sailing in fresh water your better off with a magnesium anode which is more sensitive than zinc.  
Zinc is for salt water.

Fair winds
Dick
Dick #122
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2015 at 12:41pm
Thanks Simon.  That is what we used.  Scheduled to splash back Monday.  New prop, sail drive painted.  Fresh bottom paint.  Ready to race the rest of the local season and a local regatta.

Ron
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
Simon Gregoire View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2015 at 11:19am
Also, make sure you keep the area that is in contact with the zinc anode free of any paint. This area needs to expose the aluminium in order to establish electrical contact with the zinc anode.

Edited by Simon Gregoire - 20 September 2015 at 11:30am
Simon Gregoire View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2015 at 11:16am
Interprotect 2000e is what we have always used. I don't know of anything else that has been used there.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/products/primers/interprotect-2000e.aspx

Sand down to the aluminium and then apply 4 to 5 thin coats. Follow instructions closely for time between coats.

Edited by Simon Gregoire - 20 September 2015 at 11:27am
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2015 at 11:31am
What is the recommended paint for covering the sail drive?  Any thing else I should know about the process?  I know no copper.

Thanks
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic