Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class vs OD vs PHRF?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Class vs OD vs PHRF?
    Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:56am
If I look up ratings for the L28 I sometimes see "OD" which is usually 6 points lower than traditional PHRF ratings.

I'm wondering if someone can explain the main differences between OD and non-OD Laser 28's?  Also, is the class rule L28 considered OD, or is OD something else entirely?

Thanks
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 10:06am
PHRF handicapping dosn't take in to account the oversized pole and spinnaker the class boat comes with. The class boat is the OD (one-design) boat.

Here are some SLVYRA (Montreal area) PHRF configurations for one-design boats

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52ed4477e4b00d1d7319cee5/t/5362da3fe4b0b1d39def215e/1398987327737/OD+note+2014v2.pdf

Edited by Bill Layton - 29 May 2015 at 10:10am
Mike V View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2015 at 6:12pm
Lake Ontario PHRF lists the laser ODR ( one design rule). It takes into account for the oversized pole and spinnaker.  It is just the base handicap then adjustments are made from there. 
Starting this year PHRF-LO is starting to give one second changes for sail size to try to make PHRF racing a little more level. Personally I think they are over thinking it. They are now measuring main sails mid and upper girth, spinnaker mid girth and foot length and will start giving out credits and hits to idividual boats. So you can now have a J24 with a theretical PHRF spread of 5 seconds depending on the sail manufacturer. A little more roach here and a slightly different head sail cut. They hit the J24 3 seconds just because they finally figured out the spinnaker has a long foot length.  There was no other reason!  Next is head sails with a large roach.  So all the Lasers racing with just the lapper will get hit. So will boats like the J105, flying tiger etc.  All theses boats have good data and in my opinion the PHRF is fair on these boats in their ODR configuration. I can see a some boats should be reviewed. 
Sorry for the rant! I am the PHRF guy for our club and I would rather be sailing than measuring. 

Edited by Mike V - 29 May 2015 at 6:16pm
Sparkplug

Hull #182

NYC
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2015 at 9:31am
So this means some PHRF authorities actually use the OD configuration (such as PHRF-LO) while others use the alternate configuration with smaller spin pole and spinnaker?  That must get confusing...
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 9:03pm
It is very confusing indeed. The term PHRF is just a banner under which there are several jurisdictions each with their own assignment of ratings policies. There is no bond nor guidelines between jurisdictions as far as I can tell. Bill points out that on Lake St. Louis they treat the Laser class spinnaker as a Code 6. In BC it is a code 8. Also, in BC some years ago some gurus at PHRF decided that to try to even out the performance differences between older cruising designs and modern racer/cruisers, they would add 10% to every boat's rating such that the boats with higher PHRF number would gain more PHRF advantage than the lower raters when the 10% was added. Now we have people protesting the differences between boats, such as Lasers, who have a higher rating in BC, than in other places. Of course they fail to note that the other boats also have higher ratings owing to the 10% adjustments. Last year they reduced the rating number of the Olson 911 to conform to the Pacific Northwest Rating, which doesn't carry the extra 10%. She always comes in last or second to last anyway, so now she is right out of it. No wisdom applied in that move.

So PHRF is an assembly of letters forming a banner that various handicap jurisdictions use, but it has no common rules for yacht measurements. Each place makes its own PHRF rules. The only thing one can use the data basis figures for, is to observe generally how boats perform against each other.

Note the HI/LO figures don't give any indication of what they consider a BASE Yacht. Nor does the list tell us anything about the sail configurations of the boats used to get the averages.

It would be good if there was a single organization (say US Sailing association) who wrote solid rules for handing out PHRF ratings and just let each jurisdiction comply. There was only one IOR, MORC, and other systems. However, like the Portmouth System, the PHRF is not a system of measurement, but an assignment of rating based on performance, which varies in a thousand ways among boats of a single model, perhaps less if adhering to a strict One Design configuration. Ultimately, that's the appeal of One Design racing. It is just that very few jurisdictions have sufficient numbers in multi-usage yachts of a single type to make that happen. In BC we say that every one sails a One Design. One Design of this and One Design of that, etc, with very few boats being the same at all.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2015 at 10:02pm
To add to the confusion, my LMPHRF certificate specifically states that they base their ratings on the OD design of the Laser 28, even though when you look up LMPHRF for the Laser 28 in the US Sailing documents, it is listed under PHRF and not OD design Lasers.  Also, I was given a LMPHRF certificate last year without them taking any measurements of my boat or sails and they actually have my spinnaker pole measurement incorrect at 9.6 feet when in fact it is just over 11 feet, which I believe is the OD pole.

The ratings committee from my yacht club had granted me a provisional rating for local racing that is more generous than the LMPHRF rating, which I argued was unfair towards Laser 28's compared to other boats (data available if anyone is interested).  My argument was, in part, based on my understanding that my Laser 28 was not to OD spec but now I'm not so sure.  The committee is coming to measure my head sails and spin pole tomorrow so I don't know how this is going to end up.

In the end, I think the key point should be that local jurisdictions should apply fairness rules.  If my boat is rated 126 in our local fleet as LMPHRF suggests, we will not be competitive and crew morale on my boat will suffer.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2015 at 1:32am
Chris,
It is as I said. All areas with their own committees without a common written PHRF guideline making up things as they go along. My only advice is to not treat PHRF racing to seriously (so says I who sort of lives for it), and treat all racing as a venue to improve your own and your crew's skills, and make improvements on the boat to improve its relative position in the fleet. I've worked our way to the top which is what has caused the spot light to come upon us. The best one can do is hope to keep your rating in line with other boats with whom you compete, and you can sort of look at ratings of similar boats in other jurisdictions to see how you compare. Warning, however: When you do that, you will find ratings vary all over the place.

In our VARC (overall Vancouver Area fleet) series there are boats that we cannot beat if they are well sailed. They rate extremely well to their sailing potential. However none of us who race in the larger VARC series would ever complain about someone else's rating. However, back at my home club of West Vancouver Yacht Club, we have a bunch of busy bodies that protest the ratings of boats like my Laser because they cannot ever get close to us. But you should see how these boats are set up and how poorly they are sailed. Yet because they rate faster than us (and they should), but can't beat us, they protest our rating to the PHRF committee so now all BC Lasers are on the watch list and may get our rating knocked down at the Fall meeting. Those guys who protest are not the good sailors we are competing with. We enjoy going after the more challenging boats and crews and we will surely be penalized in our racing against these other monsters whom truly we can't beat because of these sick boats that should just stay at home. Such is handicap racing, but we must live with it.
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 3:46pm
Re-opening as I'm not finding the detail I need. My boat is rated in Narragansett Bay PHRF with a penalty for the 11.27 spinnaker pole. What is the length of the true one design pole? I'm trying to figure if the base pole is shorter, so the penalty pole is correct, or if I should get that length as part of the base rating.

New to me boat last year and we are settling in gradually. Thanks, all!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 3:52pm
The standard L28 class one-design pole length is 11.32 feet. All boats came with a pole this length... however over time many have tried to optimise for handicap and shortened it. The J measurement of the boat is 9.65 ft.
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 4:16pm
That's what it seemed it should be. So should the Laser 28 be taking a penalty for having an 11.32 foot pole? Doesn't seem as though that is right ....
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2018 at 10:49pm
Welcome Comet!
Your handicap looks about right but the explanations on your certificate are a little confusing.
Here is a previous certificate for your boat
http://phrf.hryra.org/boat/comet-172-1

The over sized pole implies over sized spinnaker so I think you should be getting the penalty for the sail size, not the pole.

I introduced myself to Comet's previous previous owner in 2004 so I could see what a Laser 28 was all about; then I started looking for one of my own.
PM me if you want to chat. ttys, john
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 8:25am
@fatjohnz - Very interesting!! I knew Comet had been in NY (the location is not quite removed from the stern) and owned by Samalot. I bought her from another person in RI, so I just copied the data from his PHRF to mine.

Now I get to figure out the Narragansett Bay base rating formula. We measured sails and went over what we saw on the PHRF (which is rated for symmetrical, asymmetrical and code zero). The sizes matched but we didn't know until I asked here that the 11.27 foot pole is standard design for the Laser 28. 

The symmetrical matches the size for the class sail, so that is good. Depending on what I find out, I might run a second/alternate certificate for certain types of races.

Thank you!
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 8:44am
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?/topic/202667-28-laser-for-sale/

Laser 28 for sale......
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 9:51am
I did share the NY PHRF with my local sail maker, who was on the rating committee here at one point. He tells me we are allowing the spinnakers, based on the sizes listed on the certificate, but take the pole for the penalty. Rather than allowing the pole and taking a penalty on the spinnaker. So the numbers work out to be the same credits/penalties.

And I learn and learn!
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2018 at 10:30am
I'm still confused.  An 11 second penalty for the pole length is dramatic.  Can I just use a shorter pole and not have the penalty?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Comet View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2018 at 1:20pm
Who has an 11 second penalty?

This is what I'm rated for:
Base Rating 138 Non-Spin Adj. 15
Genoa Spin Adj. 6 Genoa Non-Spin Adj. 6
Mainsail Adj. 0 Furling Adj. 3
Prop. Adjustment 0 Spin Pole Adj. -5
Asym. Adj. 0    
Mast Adj. 0 Misc. Adj. 0
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic