Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hot water heater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hot water heater
    Posted: 01 October 2014 at 10:38pm
Has any one installed a hot water heater on a LASER 28 that ran of the engine heat exchanger? If so where did you place the hot water heater in the boat? i am Looking at a Webasto 3 gallon which is 12"diam x19" long. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2014 at 12:59pm
To my knowledge there are only two Laser's that have heat exchangers. Voila and Warbird. On the other hand, I see no reason one could not route the hot water return from the effluent end of the thermostat to the exhaust elbow, through a tank. Same as taking the coolant to a hot water tank on the way to the heat exchanger. I have given thought to the idea of hot water, but we only take one cruise of 2-3 weeks per year, and then a few 1-2 day overnighters, and have always made do so far. Still I often think of it. One of the problems with a proper hot water system is that one will then have to add a pressure sensitive diaphram pump to keep it full and all the plumbing to go with it. .......more weight and electric stuff.

One simple idea, if racing is not the prime interest, would be to have built a single water tank from foam and glass or csrbon fiber with a baffle dividing the tank. Through the baffle you place a small balancing line near the bottom such that the level on both sides would be equal. Say if the tank held 15 gallons, the baffle could be placed to give you 1/3 hot and 2/3 cold. Then run a copper heating coil inside the smaller side just above the bottom and then back out to the exhaust. Instead of using a pressure relief valve (more stuff), just run a tiny vent from simple plastic tubing out the top of the tank and lead it to anywhere. By this method one would simply place a second water pick-up line out from the hot water side of the tank and run it to a small valve under the sink and then to a "T" taking it to the hand/foot pump. You simply place the valve in a position for hot or cold water....or a mix. All simple with no mechanical and electrical stuff. It is a minimalist boat and this would be a minimalist solution.

Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2014 at 10:21pm
When I bought this Laser 28 It had no inboard engine or sail drive. The former owners used a electric trolling motor to get around. It would have cost me $4000.00 for a used Bukh. I had the sail drive. I am in the lower Chesapeake Bay with a high salt content in the water which made me not inclined to use the aluminum sail drive. I therefore bought a Beta diesel which has a heat exchanger and went with a straight shaft, strut and folding propeller. I moved the holding tank aft out of the engine room. I am looking at a Webasto 3 gallon hot water heater that will work off the heat exchanger. The trick is to have the hot water in and out lower than the the cap on the heat exchanger. As you can see I am not worried about class rules but have a fast comfortable boat. What I like about the Webasto it has a valve that adjust the hot temperature with the cold water which makes it act like a 6 gallon hot water heater. IfI get one I will let you know how it works. Beta makes a nice diesel with a sail drive. Has the Laser 28 class considered it as a replacement?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2014 at 7:31am
I envy you with a Beta and straight shaft. I agree that would be a great package. On the other hand I love our Bukh my sail drive is fine, though we take very good care of it. Do you still have the sail drive? If so, do you want to sell it? We have an owner here with one that is in very bad shape on Sloop de Jour.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2014 at 7:58am
The Beta marine S/D is another 80 Lbs heavier than the BUKH we use. In England they used the Yanmar w/ shaft drive for many L28's. Not sure what the weight of that unit was but it was heavier than the BUKH S/D used here in North America.You could look at some used boat listing in Europe to find out.

Edited by Bill Layton - 05 October 2014 at 7:59am
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2014 at 10:41am
And to all that the Laser already sits down in the back probably 40-50mm off her lines unless weighted in the bow. I love that little Bukh. It is a great piece of engineering and so reliable. However my racing spirit conjures thoughts of exchanging the heavy diesel for a 4 cycle outboard power head adapted to the Bukh sail drive. I see that someone in Sweden makes such a thing. OMC made one decades ago, but it was problematic. Taking roughly 100 lbs out of the back would put her on her designed lines again. Just for chat.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 2:29pm
On sailanarchy.com last month they had a link to a new 27-30 footer out of Europe. One feature it had and I thought if could be adapted to the L28 was a locker/well in the floor of the cockpit. You open the hatch, a bar/lift system help you lift your outboard from laying flat and drop it into well and bam you have a motor in the water. The system sits about the same place where the current saildrive is placed. Would require extensive fiberglass work to modify the engine room. but it is a concept worth looking into, esp.when the cost of a new inboard is almost as much as some of the L28s for sale. Wish I could remember that manufacturer of the boat....
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 4:29pm
The Farr 25 OD sports the system you refer to. I think phrf would hit us about 6 points which would be about 31 seconds per hour. Probably worth it. Changing to a lighter power head would cost nothing. Currently our ballast ratio is under 33% in as sailed configuration. I have a set of original drawings for Laser from Farr and they have drawn in both a tilting outboard in the same position, and a Volvo of some sort.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2014 at 4:48pm
Other boats with similar systems would be the David Thomas design Impala 28 and the Hotfoot 27.
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2014 at 8:40pm
I sold the sail drive to the person who rebuilds them. I think Crinmar.
Jonathan Gutoff View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Gutoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2014 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by frfletch frfletch wrote:

The Farr 25 OD sports the system you refer to. I think phrf would hit us about 6 points which would be about 31 seconds per hour. Probably worth it. Changing to a lighter power head would cost nothing. Currently our ballast ratio is under 33% in as sailed configuration. I have a set of original drawings for Laser from Farr and they have drawn in both a tilting outboard in the same position, and a Volvo of some sort.

Would it be possible to see the outboard drawings from Farr? We have the prototype here in San Francisco that came with a Volvo MB50s saildrive. It was a Volvo leg with a Honda 8hp powerhead. Unfortunately it dissolved away so I removed it and I'm thinking of putting an outboard well in its spot. The new saildrive 330 is a Yamaha version of the old MB50s. They are expensive.
http://www.saildrive.se/eng/eng_index.htm
meholden View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meholden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2014 at 10:28pm
Here is video of the Farr 25 motor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stQiqek24ro

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic