Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacement cushions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement cushions
    Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:15pm
I have a 1985 Laser 28 with the original cushions. I took the cushions to a canvas shop to make new ones. When the canvas shop was making the cushions I had the idea to coat the cushion boards with West epoxy to protect the wood from moisture. After coating I put the boards in the boat to see how they fit. I noticed that the forward v berth boards have about 1" clearance from the sides of the hull. Also Is there a cushion with no boards that covers the dinette table when it is in the down position? Is the gap because the foam is larger than the boards?
Sincerely, Andy on Virginia H. renamed Blue Jacket.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:47pm
The boards are the same size as the cushions. (within a few millimeters) The cushion without a board is called a "filler cushion", a triangular cushion that fills the gap left when the 4 dinette cushions are placed on the dinette table. It was designed this way. Good idea on the epoxy. The original foam is light weight and density and dries within a few hours if completely soaked.... same with the covers. I've personally taken a wave in thru the open front hatch in the afternoon and slept on dry cushions that night. I've seen some owners replace them with a much heavier density foam and of course the effect is opposite. Food for thought. Goodluck!

Edited by Bill Layton - 13 May 2013 at 10:49pm
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:47am
If the boards are a little shy of the cushion, be thankful. When the boards are even or proud, they will cause accelerated wear on the cushion edges because the ply will rub against the fiberglass/kevlar sides. If you want to protect your new cushions, you might consider relieving the edges of the boards a tiny bit.
Virginia H. View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:26pm
Could I get one of you to email me pictures of your cushions on the dinette with the table in the down position that way I could get an idea what the triangle cushions goes? When i put the 2 back rest cushions on the dinette table I do not see how the triangle would work.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:28pm
I forgot to give my email address which is "armst1111@aol.com.
Thank you.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:17am
Sorry, but I have never actually dropped my table and used it as a bunk, However when you speak of a triangular piece of cushion, it is really a filler cushion that goes all the way up in the bow portion of the V-birth. That is the only place that forms a triangle.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 8:28am
Once the dinette seat back cushions are placed on the table there is a triangular gap formed against the fibreglass and this is where this filler cushion is used.
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 9:58pm
thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic