Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Class rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 3:00pm
Another question, Since I have my standing rig at the rigger for inspection, and I know I will have to replace the Cascade and will look at what you suggested. But also wanted to ask and consider the rigging option "PBO" anyone have experience with this?
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2013 at 2:10pm
We are considering PBO, or similar, for the for stay because it does not have the additional thickness of the bury to stuff down the carbo foil. For normal standing rigging, however, the Dynex Dux will be cheaper that PBO. I am going to speak to Colligo Marine today and see if I can get some kind of deal on the Dynex for members of the Laser Association. If there is going to be a change if class rules, They are in a position to help both Laser owners, and themselves in this area. Stay tuned!
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:41am
both Pandora & Chaos at Pultneyville Yacht Club here on the south shore of lake Ontario have dumped the wire cascade's in the backstay & vang, I went to synthetic lifelines as well and Chaos is not far behind, I will most likely be going to synthetic backstay this season. It's just a far superior product & IMHO safer. these would be the only deviations from OD rules but it would be enough to DSQ at a sanctioned OD event Cry  I agree that it's time to consider taking a look at this section of the rules. 
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 10:44am
PBO is super expensive Confused

Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 11:40am
Yes, PBO is expensive, that is why we consider a "PBO-type" solution. That means a small braid or filament wound continuously around the end-piece thimbles and then bound in a jacket, or shrink wrapped on the ends where it enters the carbo foil so that the cargo foil does not wear on the line. I have two or three riggers prepared to make up such a line for me. Colligo Marine has also offered to build a forestay for my Laser should I choose to go with Dynex Dux for standing rigger. For sure there is a way. This morning I was fingering a roll of Spectra fishing braid and thinking of how to adapt that to the forestay solution. No very difficult.

Of course the easiest way by far is to get rid of the carbo foil and go back to hanks. Then one could just go with Dynex Dux all the way. We were thinking about this the other day when my friend asked me the question: "How many races did I do in 2012?" Followed by: "How many live head sail changes did you make?" It is a good question. I think I have had the Carbo foil on the boat since July 2008, and I am guessing that we have made perhaps only 3 headsail changes during a leg in that period. The foil weighs a considerable amount.

Recently a brand new Beaker 37 has come to our club. This is $450,000 of state-of-the -art in one package. They use hanks.
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:16pm
my tuffluff is only good on one track now so no sailchanges for me, we are sailing PHRF-LO & have opted out of using any headsail larger than the 106% lapper, we get a 6sec bonus Smile
& IMHO we don't loose any upwind speed and our pointing angle is improved......I have a feeling hanks are in my future.......I'm not sure I am at a point where I would go to a synthetic headstay.......
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 12:58pm
I love this stuff! Thanks for playing. We also have dumped our code 5 genoa but still use a code 4 that trims inside the spreaders. We find this faster than the code 5 in all conditions ands we get a 3 point save.

We sail another Laser in Squamish where we only use the Lapper. Squamish is a predominantly windy area, so it pays off to keep the 6 points. How do you fair in ends under 8 knots with the lapper compared to your competition using 155's, etc. At what point do you feel the pain with lessor sail. Do you sail in smooth water, or do you have some chop and wave action? In smooth condition, we always enjoyed the 3 degree pointing advantage of the lapper. The lapper is far faster to tack as well.

We still speculate that the better solution would be a code 6 main coupled with a lapper, because the 3 point addition can be put to good use both upwind and down, and because the Laser is generally is quite neutral at the helm and could benefit from bringing some of the COE aft. It would be an expensive experiment if it did not work.

I know that the top One Design Laser sailors will weigh-in at this point with their experience of having sailed against other Lasers who have tried that, and that those changes did not help them against the standard "well-sailed" Laser. I can believe that. These boats have great potential, but getting that potential is not "slam-dunk" easy. So a well set-up Laser against an expertly sailed Laser would loose 9 out of 10 times. I would like to see what would happen if a modified sail plan Laser were sailed by the crew of Colibri, Convictus, or one of the other well oiled Laser crews.

As to synthetic standing rigging, we have always used it for the backstay. I would love to try it on the remainder of the standing rigging (Dynex Dux). Our local rater says that they will start off by charging me three phrf points, so we would have to carry a 16 second/hr penalty around the course both upwind and down. I think when we figure out how to organize the forestay, or I get comfortable with the notion of taking our foil off and changing all our headsail luff tapes to hanks (ouch), then we will probably go for it. Meanwhile, we are taking the vhf off the rig and putting it on the push-pit, replacing the #16 AWG triplex with 3 single-pled encased with this sort of finger-trap netted tubing that we got for $.39/ft. We are also breaking with Class compliance in that we have had a new spinnaker made to the max of code 9 with luff length of something like 33.2'. It looks a bit droopy flying from the current spinnaker hoist. I have machined a new minimalistic sheave box to take the 1/8" halyard core that it will have to accommodate and will place it on the mast about where the current steaming light goes.

We also dumped the spinnaker up haul to save weight and clutter aloft, and use the alternate jib halyard instead. Less if best.

Fun! fun! fun!
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 1:02pm
Sorry about the typos!
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:00pm
I am kind of a purist minimalist so I like your Ideas, the OD spin is so big to begin with I can't imagine going bigger.....our conditions vary greatly, Ontario can dish out some serious weather so we see it all. I really feel Farr hit it out of the park with this design, I feel the boat was about 15-20yrs ahead of it's time....he knew what he was doing and I really am convinced that except in ultra light air sheeting a lapper inside the spreaders is faster than a 155%. I was fortunate enough to be working in a loft last year and I built a new main can't wait to see how much better she will go this year.....another nice feature of having a lapper as the largest upwind headsail is cost Wink 
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2013 at 2:24pm
It is correct that it is a great design. On the other hand, 25+ years have passed. What will you be doing with the new main. Anything particularly interesting. We just switched back to slugs to allow the sail to drop a litt further back away from the mast giving us a little bit of unrated sail area.
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:48am
nothing particularly interesting, it was just time. I went from slugs to a boltrope Smile

Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:59am
Just as a design note when a main is designed for slugs/slides, it comes with a slightly shorter luff length because as the sail is moved aft it will usually hook on the backstay. An older main with a shrunk bolt rope can sometimes get away from this. But not on a new sail. Also the camber is moved further fwd to keep it in the same location is would be for a sail with a boltrope. The shape is relative to the spar. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2013 at 10:57am
My sail was originally made for slides by Quantum. However I did not like the way it set to the mast, so I switched to a rope luff. It was ok, but I felt the sail was too flat unless I removed all pre bend which would either compromise forestay tension, or require disproportionate tension in the lowers. At this time Quantum went bust so switched to North for help where we added more luff curve to conform better to the mast set up now more similar to yours. Now we modified the sail once more going back to slides and changed to a full batten on the 2nd from the top. At that batten we are using a special slide that has four little wheels on It that bear against the back of the mast to take the pressure of that batten. You will be able to guess that the sail looks better upwind than on a run because that full batten reverses the camber at that point as the shroud hits it.
You are also correct that the overlap between the roach and backstay is an issue, particularly at the 2nd batten. To compensate for that, we wrapped a large patch of what I think Jason refers to as Cuban Cloth. This is a very tough spectra fiber band aid that is coated with Teflon and is very slick. Combined with a 4mm slick Dynex Dux backstay it works ok. But just. Anymore mainsail than that will dictate the need for a whip up top n

The sail looks great and we do get a little better feel at the helm. Jason Rhodes provides input on my sails. He worked with Greg in Totonto years ago, then ran a Quantum loft in the states somewhere on the West Coast, then worked here for North and has a relationship with the North loft today. So he has been a large factor in things we have been doing recently and helped us gain about an average of 3-4 minutes per hour on the coarse. Voila is a constant work-in-progress.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic