Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacement for Bukh diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacement for Bukh diesel
    Posted: 18 August 2012 at 8:33pm
I am interested in  Laser 28 that has the Bukh sail drive but no engine. Anyone been able to us a Yanmar 9hp or other brand diesel with this brand sail drive. Also what does the class rules say about replacement?

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 6:22pm
Personally I love the Bukh and encourage you to find one. Might not be that hard. I recently pitched up at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Cllub to be told that five of them were laying in the yard. Unfortunately by the time I enquired Thayer had been hauled to the dump. These engines were designed for use in lifeboats and once were plentiful. Also, some yacht owners gave up on them and switched to outboards owing to corrosion of the sail drive which was not replaceable. There may be some engines laying around. The Bukh is far better than the Yanmar or Volvo. Try harder to find one.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2012 at 8:17pm
The Bukh crankshaft is vertical which permits it to sit above the sail drive. I don't think that the volvo or yanmar are made this way and would have to sit forward (in the galley) or aft. 
 The Bukh has issues, not the least the lack of a proper oil filter but in the 5 years that I have owned mine it has worked with no complaints. It is a very simple and strong little beast so I would agree that finding one and installing it would be the best solution. See also posts re outboard.
bal149 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2012 at 7:30pm
stumbled on a site that advertises Yamaha SD 330 saildrive. In Canada it is sold by Marineoutfitters.ca. May be of help to you.
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2012 at 9:49pm
all I have to do is look at my key and my Bukh starts....I love it.....Big smile
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 1:30am
Here is another idea for you if you are unable to fine an engine. If you look at the sail drive, it is really just the bottom end of an outboard motor except that it has no cooling water intake nor exhaust. However an outboard engine power head of similar size joins to its lower unit in just the same way. On the Bukh the sail drive unit attaches to a hollow aluminum intermediate casing the captures the double rubber hull seal between the sail drive and the power head (engine). Four bolts come through the base flange on the sail drive, the double seal, through the casing and into the bottom plate of the power head (engine). So......find say a 4-cycle outboard power head that is perhaps in the 10hp range, fix a 3/8" aluminum plate to the bottom of it with a hole allowing its crankshaft to come through its bottom, and shim it so that the crank shaft aligns with the drive shaft of the sail drive. Any machine shop could make the drive cog for the bottom of the shaft to match that of the Bukh sail drive. Drill and tap the bottom of the new plate to take the 4 nos. 12mm stainless steel bolts that come up through the sail drive and screw the new power head to the old sail drive. The remainder of the challenge is fixing a cooling water pump to the engine but that could be driven from a 3" diameter pulley mounted to the top of the new engine's flywheel.

The system would run on gas, but would be quite economical and smooth running as a 4-cycle, and would save about 50 lbs of weight. I have seen such power heads from Mercury, OMC, and Nissan on Ebay for just a few hundred dollars. It would be a fun project and very simple.   Just look at the top of the shaft on the sail drive you have and you will see that it is not difficult to make the part to engage it to any powerhead that will fit into the space. it just needs the conversion plate so that the sail drive bolt circle will match up to it.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 12:14pm
Sorry about the typo's in the above post. I had just come in from two days and nights out racing and was nearly asleep at the keyboard. Hopefully it isn't so bad as to discredit the idea of outboard power head conversion to use over the Bulk sail drive.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 7:43am
Be very careful converting an outboard gas motor. Outboards aren’t meant to be inboards. That lack such important safety features as flame arrestors. You’ll need to install a blower.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 12:47pm
A flame arrestor would indeed be a good idea, but that is just a simple fine screen over the carb intake. A vent fan would even be a good idea with the Bukh to rid the cabin of the blow-by stink. Not very difficult. Many outboards are used as inboards, or are mounted in a well inside the boat such as the Hotfoots or the Farr 25, Impala 28's, and many other examples. It is correct that having petrol (gas) inboard on the boat in any form requires due care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic