Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacine spinnaker halyards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacine spinnaker halyards
    Posted: 12 August 2012 at 1:00am
Looking to replace my spinnaker halyards and checking to see what every one has been using. Mine seems to be a little oversized. Thanks. Also what length, I seem to remember as a general rule it should be 1 1/2 times the length of the boat.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 8:43am
i find 5/16" to be good in the hand and in the clutch.
something low(er) in cost and low stretch like maxibraid.
js
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 11:07am
My two jib halyards and spinnaker halyard are all 5/16" I believe.  I personally find that 5/16" feels thin in my hand and would prefer 3/8" I think.  But that's just personal opinion. Functionally, 5/16" works fine.

For a spin halyard, stretch is less of an issue than main or jib halyards.  I think plain old double braid polyester with its ~2% stretch is just fine.  Save your money for dyneema on the other halyards in my opinion.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 11:11am
Oh and for length, rules of thumb work fine but I find the absolute best way is to use the old one as a guide.  For example if you find your current halyard is 5 feet too short (as mine is for example!), remove the old one by running a length of cheap polypropylene line taped to the end of the current halyard.  This keeps everything in place and allows for installation of the new one without mast removal or going up in the chair.  Measure the old one exactly, add/remove whatever modifier you have in mind and you're good to go.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 8:39am
I have had success with Chicago Yacht Rigging Inc. (773 895-4324, Kristian Martincic) as I have replaced my halyards including the spinnaker.  He suggested a tapered halyard and it has worked fine, give him a call.  He knows all the lengths for the Laser lines, sheets too and prices were reasonable.  If you send him your hardware he will re-use it as well. 

Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 3:48pm
For halyard length 78' should do.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 4:25pm

First, thanks for the responses. However I mixed up my terminology, I meant to say "Sheets." Sorry about that.Confused The boat did not come with sheets for the spinnaker so I am picking some up, but not sure on the length, I read that I should go with twice the length of the boat or 1 1/2 times the length of the boat (per sheet.) I am also going with 6 mm Flight Line for the sheets.

Another follow up question, I do have tweekers, a line with a turning block spliced to it. I never have used them, can someone throw me a quick reference where to place them, how to trim and their purpose?

Thanks again!

Clap

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 6:14pm
They mount to the base of second stanchion at the near widest point of the boat's beam. The spinnaker sheets pass through them and then they are used to help trim the spinnaker. We level them both at about the height of the upper life line for most jibes, and when reaching hard the one through which the guy passes comes all the way down to prevent ripping out the stanchion owing to the angle of the guy from its deck block behind the winch to the forestay which is about where the front of the pole will be. Also in strong downwind conditions we keep them both in a bit to help keep the boat from rolling out from under the spinnaker.

Other things: You mentioned putting tracks back onto the deck for the genoa.......don't. The stance of the shrouds and the length of the spreaders prevent you being able to make good use of cabin top tracks unless you have a very special cut sail, and then I doubt it will work. Also, you said that you thought you were sheeting the clew to the lapper to the track behind the mast.......that's wrong. Both the lapper and jib clew to the deck track forward of the shrouds and mast and, in fact, they clew very close to the front of that track depending on the mast's rake. Next, you indicated clewing the genoa to the rail. Don't. You will destroy the rail if you are hard on the wind. It is meant to be on the deck track right up against the sides of the cabin, just where the deck meets the rise in the cabin sides. From the photos you have that track. The only time you might consider going to the rail with a clew is if you were in a very long close reach and by going outward you keep the bottom part of the leach from curling back into the boat and acting as a brake.

There are many sail trimming articles on the internet. Most of the major sail lofts post very good information on trimming of every sail. However with the foresails you are looking for a balance between foot and leach tension in order to shape the sail correctly for the prevailing conditions. In heavy airs the foot will be a bit more tight which will leave the leach to curve off at the top and dump some power. In medium airs the foot may have a bit more curve in it which will tighten the leach a bit to get maximum power and point for those conditions. In very light airs, you may again trim the sail to twist more. Do some reading. There is lots of it and there is some very good information in there. Try northsails.com and go to trimming guides. Select a boat that has a fractional rig, say a J-105 and read about jib trim.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 7:22pm
Seawolf: Flight line is a good choice for light air sheets only.  It is a dyneema core (strong/thin) with a polypropylene cover. Polyprop is so light is will actually float and is easy on the hands BUT IT WILL MELT IF SUBJECTED TO FRICTION.  This makes it totally unsuitable for any medium to heavy air situation where you'll be using the winches.

For sheets I tend to stick to good old double braid polyester like New England Sta-Set.  IMHO it does the job at a decent price point.  The upgrade Sta-Set X has less stretch but for sheets I don't think this is much if an issue.  The reason I like Sta Set X is that it has a fuzzy cover that grips winches better.

If you're intent on getting dyneema core sheets, you want New England Endura braid (or equivalent) which is dyneema core with a polyester cover.

Edited by Winner - 14 August 2012 at 7:39pm
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2012 at 8:26pm
I also used the Chicago Rigging folks for sheets, they know all the lengths and I bought tapered sheets that have been great, I do sail in a rather light air world here on the Ohio River.    Just another resource!  :)r
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
jez rees View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jez rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2012 at 9:37am
Seawolf,

Please do the imperial measurement conversion, but if you want to launch from the companion way or retrieve to the companion way and not lose the ends of your sheets, the spi sheets should each be:

16.5m of 8mm braid on braid

Dyneema core if you're rich but we keep throwing them in the drink anyway!

Cheers,

Jez
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic