FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gooseneck shackle bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gooseneck shackle bolt
    Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:48pm
Hi Bill I was at the boat tonight and indeed the shackle is threaded on both sides.  I don't know how it fell out.  My crewmember must have unscrewed it all the way.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:30am
The shackle is welded to the gooseneck pin..... BUT, the shackle pin, the one you use to hold the tack ring in place is considered captive, they are not supposed to fall out unless thay are unscrewed all the way or break
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 10:26am
That is correct Frank it's welded solid.  Not captive!

Now that I know the size I'm sure I'll be able to find something. Thanks guys.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 9:19am
There are 2 types of captive wichard pins. One type cannot be remove as it has a flange on the pin itself. The other type threads into both sides of the shackle. Its safe to assume he has this type. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 3:47am
I see. And the D shackle that the pin fits through is welded to the vertical pin. Is that correct? That pin is supposed to be captive to prevent loss. I wonder what happened. If you can't find a replacement, let me know and I will make one for you and mail it, but it won't be captive.
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 11:24pm
Hi Frank I was talking about the shackle at the gooseneck that the tack attaches to, not the headboard shackle however I do note now that in my first post I actually wrote "head" instead of "tack" by mistake.  On my boat, the headboard shackle on the main halyard is a keypin D shackle, not a captive pin shackle.

At the gooseneck, there is a bar that passes vertically through the gooseneck attachment of the boom to the mast and at the top of this forged into the bar is an attachment point which used a shackle pin to attach the tack of the mainsail.  This shackle pin is what was lost overboard during haul out last year.

Clearly I'm not explaining myself well.  I'll try and take a picture when I'm at the boat next time.
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2012 at 1:36pm
Or......cut the shackle off and throw it away. If using 5/16" line try tying a simple overhand knot in the end and pull it tight. If you are worried about it, put a couple of stitches in it with needle and twine, but not necessary. Run the end of the halyard with the knot through the headboard grommet and tie it on with one, simple overhand knot. The overhand knot at the end of the rope will come up against the securing single overhand knot around the grommet and the entire connection will be secure. Its free, light weight, and doesn't take up any room at the top. If using a tapered halyard or 1/4", then you may want to try using a figure 8 for the knot at the end of the halyard. The less hardware, the better.
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 9:37pm
Its a captive pin D shackle from Wichard  Part # 1403

Just order one and then you can use the pin out of it

page 25
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 9:16pm
A marine store?  In Thunder Bay?  That would be nice.  It's all online shopping for me up here.

Any idea on diameter?  I'm trying to picture it in my mind and I'm thinking 5mm??
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 7:48pm
If its just the shackle pin you need... its a wichard shackle and should be available at a marine store
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 7:22pm
I've hesitated asking this question since it seems so simple but my online searches have ot answered it for me.

Last fall during preparations for haul out, while removing the main sail one of the crew dropped the shackle bolt that holds the mainsail head to the gooseneck overboard.

Surprisingly, I can't find a replacement for this bolt online and don't know what size it's supposed to be either.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic