Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windward Sheeting Car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jez rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windward Sheeting Car
    Posted: 28 April 2012 at 3:55pm
The traveller car on FarrOut spat it's sheaves out during Thursday's windy race. Lewmar no longer support this type of traveller so it's time for some radical action!

I've read the part numbers for the low beam conversion and the high beam replacement kindly given by Bill but this doesn't include for the Harken windward sheeting car. Anybody done it?

Presumably the ccurve in the high beam track is to fit with the central pedestal and go over the cockpit lockers at the edges? What kind of lifters are required?

Is our original Lewmar Solent 28mm I beam traveller the same as that put on the US and Canadian boats?

Thanks for any help. I need to get the order right, at the moment we've got a single point mainsheet - very cruisy!

Thanks,
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2012 at 4:35pm
The boats built for North America all used Schaefer travelers which were miserable at the best of times. Most have upgraded to harken now. I don't know anyone who has installed the windward sheeting car but there must be someone who can chime in.

jez rees View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jez rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:24am
We ended up doing the 3:1 arrangement with the Harken low beam track bolted to the original Lewmar track. An extremely pratical solution. Parts list as below, with prices in sterling:

R27 1.5m low beam track                    £65.40
E2700 end stops                             £8.95
T2703B car                                £152.00
2650 40mm carbo block x2                  £17.51 ea

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:11pm
Sorry I missed this. I installed a harken windward sheeting car some time ago. I can’t remember why, but i did not bolt the new track onto the new track. I completely removed the entire system, then installed an aluminum box beam. I made HDPE wedges to go between the beam and the deck. I then mounted the harken low profile track and the midrange windward sheeting car. On the front of the beam I mounted a harken swivel mounted cleat and block. This works brilliantly with the caveat that you must keep the track and car bearings clean.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic