Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head door replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unnamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head door replacement
    Posted: 08 March 2012 at 9:12pm
I need a replacement door for my "new" boat. Any suggestions out there? Would like to do something better than a shower curtain.

Seawolf
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 1:08am
Measure, cut and mount, two pieces work better than one.
unnamed View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unnamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 3:33pm
sorry, i did not clarify. I need a door for the head on the boat. any suggestions?
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 10:43am
Mine is canvas secured to aluminum rods on 2 sides. There is a bungee cord wrapped around the furling end. So the canvas unfurls to cover the doorway and then furls back when unhooked. Seems like original equipment; I can take a pic if you want.
If I had to replace it, I'd probably look at an accordion door.
SJ
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 11:38am
The original is a bi-fold (two piece) door. With an adequate system to secure it both open and closed it works fine. Remember people moving arround underway will fall right through a curtain, tearing it up and hurting themselves!
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2012 at 11:55am
The original door is indeed a bi-fold marine plywood door. However we did offer an optional roll-up canvas door (cordura material same as hanging lockers) as an optional door. Very few boats had this option. Easiest way to replace or change your door is to look at another Laser 28 and take some measurements/photos and do it yourself. There are no parts on the shelf anywhere for this sort of work. Hiring someone or doing it yourself is the only way. :)
unnamed View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unnamed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 12:08am
Thanks for the ideas, if there is any pics on the bi-fold door in the closed and open position. That would help get me started.
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2012 at 10:29am
I have a pic of head showing the "open" position. e-mail me warbirdsail@charter.net and I'll gladly send it to you.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 10:51am
Thanks Warbird for the picture,

I decided to make a new door, if anyone have pictures to share, please PM me. I especially would like pictures of the door mounted to the wall, the track above the door and any hardware used (hinges, door handle, securing the door in open and close position.)

I plan to use marine plywood, sanded on both sides, not sure if I should go with 1/2" inch or 3/4".

Thanks for the help.
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2012 at 11:19am
The original marine ply door was 3/8", very light material for sure. Same thickness as all the other marineply used for bulkheads in the boat :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic