Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is it a gasket? Saildrive/prop question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it a gasket? Saildrive/prop question
    Posted: 09 January 2012 at 7:43am
Greetings all.  When I hauled th eboat this fall I noticed that where the saildrive comes out of the boat that the "gasket" was breaking up and needs to be replaced however my question is - what is it and where can I get another?  Thanks!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2012 at 2:05pm
Hi Bill,

I tried to reply to your msg you but your inbox is full and not accepting anymore messages.

This part is only available from BUKH distributors. I use Keith Strutt in Ontario Canada. His pricing is better than most and he usually carries them in stock. 613-634-8100 Make sure you order the special water proof glue that's required to glue it in place. Hope this helps.

Cheers Bill
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 7:45am
Hmmm, I have 0 new message and 0 old messages - wonder what is in my inbox?   Oh well, what do I call that part and do you have an email or phone # for Keith?  Thanks Bill!
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 11:29am
glue - part number 523A0000
skin fitting - part number 0000E6921

look above for tel number
Smile
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2012 at 2:54pm
FYI , a couple hints and tricks
- let the rubber skin lay in the sun to warm up so its a little easier to get over the sail drive.
- i've had to install two skins so far; the first one just disappeared. the second one has 6 little pan head screws in addition to the glue.
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2012 at 8:52am
you guys rock!  Thank you both, :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 10:32am
Okay, ordered the part and glue - any tips and advice on removing the existing piece and cleaning/prepping for the new one a'coming?  Thanks gents!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 4:53pm
I hope this thing didn't cost much. You can simply cut one out from a sheet of 3/16 neoprene. Regarding removal, it will depend on what the last person stuck it on with. I would start by using a heat gun to loosen whatever is the adhesive and then just rip it off. If silicon, there are silicon removing solvents from most automotive supply stores. If P.U. such as 3M 5200 was used, then use heat and a putty knife, then do a final hard scrub with acetone.
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2012 at 7:14am
Ah well, cost was about $115 so I am looking at this as my way of helping the economy!  Bill Brock also suggested using neoprene and DAP "Weldwood Contact Cemnt" all available at your local Lowes and Home Depot.  He also suggested taking this new gasket and making a template before I put the new one on which I will do so if anyone is looking for a template in the future, give me a holler and I will share!  :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic