Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Schedule
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Potential event South Shore Lake Ontario 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential event South Shore Lake Ontario 2012
    Posted: 12 September 2011 at 10:46am
Sticking out a feeler for a potential new event on the south shore of Lake Ontario at Sodus Bay Yacht Club, for years I was involved in organizing a few OD events with the Beneteau First 235 we had some petty decent events all over LO from LeVeL's at YYC to 2 days of racing at Crescent Yacht Club as well as pairing with SBYC at their Challenge Cup weekend now that I have moved up to a Laser 28 I am looking to spark some interest on the south shore with similar events. The Laser 28 bug has bitten at my Home club which is Pultneyville Yacht Club and we now have two there Mine #167 Pandora & another recently purchased from RCYC in TO #234 the former TAZ II which is now Chaos. How many would be interested in a 2 maybe 3 day event hosted by PYC & SBYC with PRO Wayne Bretsch? my thoughts are include a OD fleet mid distance feeder race from PYC to SBYC and then partake with our own start and fleet at SBYC Challenge Cub........thoughts? 

Edited by Jon167 - 12 September 2011 at 11:01am
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 11:03am
The largest fleets are in Magog, Montreal and Ottawa/Gatineau area. The closest regatta to you would be the North Americans in Montreal at the R.St.L.Y.C. We expect 15 or more boats for this event and it's only a few weeks away! Sept. 24-25. Magog sailors are holding their event in Newport, VT on Sept. 17-18... next weekend and are expecting over 21 boats. If you can at all, try to join us. They are only 2 day events, as most L28 sailors seem to prefer this. There is no faster way to learn how to make this boat go than to sail against other fast boats. Then you can chat us up about beautiful Sodus Bay! Smile

Cheers Bill
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2011 at 11:33am
Sound like great events, I wouldn't be able to make either this year, I have no trailer and the trek would be epic Shocked plus we are having some saildrive problems at present but that's another post.........Cry
Scott234 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 11:34am
I'm in for a South Shore event, but you were probably expecting me to be already.  I agree, a trek to Magog from Lake Ontario without a trailer would be epic!  Hi Bill, Scott here!  I bought #234 from Paul and Marilyn.  A great boat and an even greater couple!  Bill, any possibility of Jon and I heading up to the Magog or Montreal regattas (next year) and jumping on an L28 there to crew, or do those boats typically have full crews already? 
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2011 at 7:19pm
Hey Scott,

Yeah I guess the best thing to do is post here in early August and  I can email your info to our fleet members notifying them of your availability for these events.  Paul and Marilyn are very nice people indeed and your very fortunate to have purchased their pride and joy! 
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 10:17am
In addition to the potential for a great event at SBYC/PYC LYRA this coming year is going to be held at Oswego Yacht Club on July 30th to Aug 5th 2012. Another great venue with all the infrastructure in place. 
Is there a list of class members someplace? Looking for alternative ways to get the word out for those that may not frequent this forum.....

Edited by Jon167 - 19 September 2011 at 11:37am
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 8:07pm
I am moving forward with the planning stages for 2012, what sounds more appealing end of June at the Sodus Bay YC Challenge Cup Regatta or the first weekend in August for LYRA at Oswego Yacht Club? Both events are going to have world class race committee. 
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
Jon167 View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon167 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2011 at 8:13pm

This will be the Perpetual "Laser 28 Lake Ontario Challenge Cup"
Jon

Pandora

Hull#167

Lake Ontario SBYC
Past President LYRA
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic