Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

saildrive water leaks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bal149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: saildrive water leaks
    Posted: 20 May 2011 at 7:27pm
 I drained my oil today and got about 20 cc of water-not good- I have not taken off the prop yet but I did consult the shop manual-no help-Can I change the seal without taking off the lower section of the sail drive?
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:36pm
No. But taking the lower "clam shell" is not hard.

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:33pm
Before you dig into the sail drive, check for the possibility that the water may be coming in through the oil drain screw, or the other screws in the side of the sail drive. The fiber washer on the oil drain screw could be compromised. The best way to check this is to get the boat out of the water, drain all the gear oil out of the sail drive, then refill with the thinnest oil you can find. Or use paint thinner! Let it sit overnight and see where the leak comes from. Before putting back into service, drain out the thin oil, or thinner, and refill with the old gear oil. Then I suggest draining that and putting in new gear oil. This will flush out the thinner oil or paint thinner or whatever you use. You may be into a $3.00 fix instead of a $300 dollar fix.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2011 at 1:36pm
One thing I should have mentioned in my last post: When you fill the sail drive with thin oil, fill it to the very top of the stick to place as much pressure on the leak as possible. You may also be able to rush this test by applying some small amount of air pressure at the dip stick tube to push the thin oil through.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic