Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dyneema lifelines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dyneema lifelines
    Posted: 29 December 2010 at 2:41pm
With the ISAF approving Dyneema rope for lifelines, are we able to replace our current wire lifelines? Couldn't see anything in the class rules to prevent this, but wanted to check?

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 12:32pm
It's there:

12 d)Lifelines shall be made from white PVC coated stainless multi-strand wire. Wire diameter shall not be less than 1/8" diameter.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 1:45pm
Sounds like a rule in need of changing. ISAF offshore regs (http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/OSR2010Parts1to6101209-%5B8164%5D.pdf) state that "c) Stainless steel lifelines shall be uncoated and used without close-fitting sleeving, however, temporary sleeving may be fitted provided it is regularly removed for inspection." I can't remember exactly when they made this change, but it was in response to failures of coated lifeline wires. The coating makes it impossible to see when the wire has become compromised. I have uncoated wire on my boat. It is a little tougher on the hands, but not too bad.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2011 at 4:27pm
When I purchased Voila in Portland, Oregon, the marine surveyor's note issued a caution on the coated lifelines. We trucked the boat to Blaine, Wa, and then rigged her and sailed up to Vancouver. Ten minutes out the upper lifeline broke on starboard. An hour broke, the lower one broke. I had new uncoated lifelines made up as per the new ISAF rullings disallowing coated lifelines on racing vessels, and about two weeks later they changes to allow for synthetics (spectra). I would have gone for the synthetic in interest of weight and added some PVC protection sleeves at each stanchion. While we know these synthetics to be strong, they will certainly abrade faster than stainless, and once they are worn one doesn't know what strength they are working to. I would still use them, however, if I was setting up again. Note we only race under PHRF.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 8:21am
I replaced mine with Dynema. Going on two years I’ve had no problems.
There are several class rules that could do with some updating. I am down with keeping costs down while providing for a level playing field. But in some areas, the newer technology is to the point where there is little difference to the expense.    
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2011 at 11:15am
I agree, however if using stainless one must pay a rigger to do several professional swages, plus special fittings, etc., whereas with dyneema one can do one's own splicing without special tools and I think the final installation is cheaper with dyneema.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic