Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PHRF sail optimisation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PHRF sail optimisation
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 11:38am
Noting that a 155% genoa may be only marginally faster in certain conditions than the lapper, and it carries a 6 point penalty under phrf (about 31 seconds/hour), and that it can only help upwind and costs you all that time when sailing downwind, has anyone tried a code 6 mainsail at the penalty of only 3 points together with the lapper? It seems to me that such a combination would give the boat more speed potential on all points of sail, except perhaps heavy upwind sailing. Has anyone tried this, and if so how did it work out?
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 4:29pm
I just ordered a main for the laser 28 that has the scaled leach profile of a melges 24 main. Should be here next week. I have a spectra backstay and a backstay whip. I choose that setup because I plan on doing some single handed distance races and I want to go with a lapper if at all possible. There are other lasers in my area so I'll see how the sail compares to the other boats speedwise.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 3:25am
Thank you Chris and please let me know how the sail works. What is your boat's name and from where do you sail?
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:05am
I think his boat is "Dutch Mafia" but it might be "Rapscallion"
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2010 at 11:46am
I'm in Sheboygan WI. We used to have 5 boats down here but one was sold off and one has moved to a different state temporarily. I haven't raced my boat in a while because life got in the way. I want to start racing my boat again... but I plan to do most if not all of my racing single handed.. I know this boat loves rail meat so I doubt I'll be able to race the boat to a 126 PHRF rating, but I'm hoping the challenge of racing single handed will make up for it.
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 8:46am
I chickened out and got a class legal main made vs. a penalty main. I am getting a couple of sails made over the winter, and the penalty main is on the list.
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2010 at 8:48am
that is, if the boat doesn't sell...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic