Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking stanchion base - help pls!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking stanchion base - help pls!
    Posted: 20 April 2010 at 7:36am
In the process of repairing last year's hit (yes I was on starboard but he was not!) and one of my lifeline stanchion bases "could" be re-bent however if I could replace it I would. I am straightening the bow pulpit but would like to replace the stanchion base (starboard) if possible. Any ideas gang?   :)bill
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2010 at 11:12pm
Have a look here for some stanchion base info

http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=358&PID=1195#1195
Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 9:42pm
Hi all,

Last year my starboard stanchion (the one furthest aft) got pulled out of one of the mounting holes a bit on a particularly windy day.  We have the foresail sheet running through a turning block attached to the stanchion base (I assume this is standard since this is how the boat came when I bought it).

My stanchion bases do appear to have been upgraded as they have supports welded to each side of the stanchion base bracket and they look similar to what Bill posted in his deck hardware upgrade pics thread (sorry, no pic of this).

I removed the stanchion base (see attached photo) and it is obvious that this has been damaged/repaired before.  In fact it looks as though at some point the stanchion base was torn clean out of the deck as all three holes have glass repair jobs.  For now, only one of the holes has re-opened (bottom left = aft hole) and the other two seem OK.  See also attached photo of the underside.

So basically my question is what is the best way to repair this?  I'm thinking that in addition to repairing the hole, I'm considering putting a steel plate underneath to give additional support.

Any thoughts appreciated.

view from above deckview from below deck
Chris
Eclipse #240
Thunder Bay, ON
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 10:55pm
If That hole is on the edge of the stanchion base then I would do a glass repair, redrill the hole and also add a backup plate underneath. If the stanchion base covers the hole easily, then fill it with epoxy putty(tape underside first) then redrill hole and add backup plate.
Seawolf View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 11:38pm
Looks like the base will not cover the hole, so I would do, and in the process of doing as of tonight; The original holes were drilled with 1/4 inch bit, (sorry I am an American so you will have to convert to mm) Drill the holes out with 3/8 inch bit. Be sure to clean the underside and the top side real good so that the epoxy will be flush with the deck and minimize any sanding time. Now expoxy the holes (be sure to tape the underside and be sure to keep the area that you are going to do a gel coat repair from filling up with epoxy. The next day redrill using your repaired base as a template and try to center the holes. I go a little bigger than a 1/4 so that the bolts are not tight in the hole, it needs a little room for the sealant and you will avoid crazing around the holes. Oh yeah, you will need to do a little gel coat repair, not hard task, just need to learn the steps and I am finding that on my boat there is always gel coat repairs to be done. One more thought, you might as well pull the port base, since it probably been under similar loads.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic