Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Straits Wipeout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Straits Wipeout
    Posted: 04 April 2010 at 8:14pm
Hello Friends,

Voila entered the now famous 2010 Southern Straits Race on Friday. Thursday night weather briefing showed a very well defined system bringing sustained winds 35-45 with heavy rain and 4-5meter seas. We entered the short course race which was 57NM going out to Halibut Banks, then to Nanaimo, and back to Atkinson Point in English Bay, Van. Winds were from the Southeast so it was a running start with an anticipated reach from HB to Nanaimo. We elected to retire at the far end of Bowen Island deciding we could never make the beat back up if there was not shift in the wind. Race started at 10:45 am, and we retired at about 12:30 pm, averaging some 11 kts and having clocked 14.5 under full main and #3 poled out to windward. After calling in we eased down the lee side of Bowen and then had to beat back up Howe Sound to the WVYC. Just a handful of miles, and this took 4 hours. Wind was sustained 45 knts with gusts recorded on our instruments to 57. Owing to the gusts, we took down all sail and motored. We could not make any headway into the wind beyond 40 kts, but by cutting it by 12-perhaps 22 degrees we could get boat speed up to over 3.5 with the little Buhk floored. We suffered a lot of leeway like this, but could progress. If we slipped off to say 25 degrees, then the wind grabbed the bow and laid us broadside and flat. From that position the propeller was mostly out of the water and it was difficult to get back sufficient speed to get the nose back into the wind against waves of about 2 meters at that point. We did get back in one piece which was better than many. The Race Committee abandoned the race (after being forced to by the Coast Guard) at 3:45 pm, calling all boats and directing that they duck for cover where ever possible. Incisor, a Curry 26 with Clint Curry on board, pitched and partially rolled filling the boat through the hatch and sank to just below the surface. It was still awash this morning and a salvage attempt is being organized. Six were on board and four were able to stay with the swamped boat, but two were washed away by high waves. They were all eventually rescued by a J29 who happened along, but not until they had spent over an hour in the water and were suffering severe hypothermia. They were taken to the hospital, and are reported to be okay. Six other crew members also went overboard in the event and were rescued with the help of a Ferry.

What a mess. There is plenty to read about this event on SailNet or on Sailing Anarchy on the net. Anyway, I wanted Laser sailors to know that we own fantastic, robust little boats. They may have there temperament, but they can take a real bashing. My only damage was that my electronic wind instrument is lose and swinging wildly from the mast head, but I don't think it is broken because it stayed level and kept reporting speed and direction, though owing to it swinging wildly from left to right the direction was useless. Anyway, in 50 kts you don't really need an instrument to tell you direction.

Many boat could not make it to the start line owing to headwind and retired before the start. The smartest guys did not start! We would not have made it to the start under purely motor, but with the motor and two reefs we got there. I would have used a third if I had one. At least 3 masts were lost and tonnes of gear damaged on other boats.

Anyway, it was a good lesson, offered the opportunity to practice some demanding seamanship, and tested our little Laser in conditions I would prefer not to subject her.

Wishing everyone happy sailing in the upcoming season.

Edited by Bill Layton - 05 April 2010 at 1:59pm
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 12:00am
Awesome story Fletch. We had a similar excursion last summer. Our boat held fast eventhough there was so much breeze the #4 tore out of the tuff luff as soon as we hoisted; all the while, foam blowing off white caps on top of huge rolling waves. I had total confidence the big girl would carry us home, and she did with little breakeage. We hit 16.3 on the GPS heading down wind on just the reefed main. I think the only casualty was the sail drive hull gasket which got ripped clean off the hull. I'm not saying she thrives in these conditions; I'm just saying she had my back. Nuff said. sj
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 2:04pm
Thanks frfletch for sharing that with us. Glad you guys were safe. Most interesting that a race committee would actually start a race where entrants had trouble making the line! I fixed your original post above.

Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic