FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gori Prop Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gori Prop Removal
    Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:44pm
Just walked the dog in weather that is -12c and fingers are not typing so well. Sorry for all the typos in the above post.
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 4:42pm
If the prop is lose on it's rubber bushing, one thing you csn try for a temporary-medium term fix, is:

Take the blades off the hub. Heat the hub in the oven to a temp of about 220-240f and stand on a board covered with some was paper. While this is being done, mix up some good, long-cure epoxy and let set through a short gestation period while prop is heating. Pour the epoxy around the hub, separating the inner and outer rigs of the hub with a small screw driver to get the epoxy to flow inside. The heat off the brass will instantly thin the viscosity of the epoxy allowing it to flow. Keep working on this until you get as much epoxy down into the gap as is possible. Don't clean off the excess until after initial set takes place in case the fissure absorbs more epoxy. Let sit without disturbance for 72 hours and remount.

I had a very wiggly hub and did this just before departing on a 3 week cruising trip in July, and am still using the same prop while the new one has not come out of the box yet.

I'm sure there are some specialty urethanes in the market that would work better than epoxy, but I was out of time waiting for a new prop to arrive prior to vacation departure, and I had the epoxy so I went with that.
tprice View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 10:01pm
Though I no longer own a Laser 28 (selling was one of the dumber things I've done>, I can add a few things to the Gori prop discussion.
I lost 2 props and a blade over the years. The forces on the castellated nut are extreme - like a hammer drill, if it somehow loosens up. My nylon nut had split and come off, giving the hub fore and aft movement enough to break the reused cotter pin and hammer the nut off. Next time we went into reverse, off it came. Old beer bottles feel a lot like folded Gori props in the mud. We found lots of them but no prop.
Next prop somehow managed to not break only the cotter pin but also the end of the splined shaft at the hole! My advice is to tighten the castle nut securely by hand, then just enough to align the hole. Make sure the washers are exactly as in the manual. The new shaft was quite expensive as it has the gear and splines machined on - an elegant piece. Rebuild of bottom end was fairly easy.
Last prop lost a blade. They call for double set screws and lock tite. I skipped the lock tite and can only surmise that that is the reason. There must be a heck of a repeated load on those props. With only one blade it puts up quite a shake. Nicely designed items but make sure you don't skip any steps!
No gear puller was needed- they came off fine on their own!
Tom

tonycooke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:37pm
Hi Bill and Bill,
The gear puller worked, thanks. Note: although the exploded Gori diagram in the original manual showed a fifth allen screw, There's no sign of it on my prop.
For others with this problem, a 5 ton 2 blade puller had enough reach and worked well. A 2 ton puller was too short.
Thanks again
Tony
murph View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 4:55pm
Tony,

I had the same problem you are experiencing. There is some form of calcium build up on the shaft/spline  preventing the hub from sliding off freely. I've seen this a few times. My only solution was to remove the blades and use a gear puller to get it off. Be very careful knocking the blades with a piece of wood.... this damages the thrust washers on the prop shaft internally. Not good

cheers

Bill Layton
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 4:08pm
Hello Tony,

I believe I understand what you are explaining, but I don't have an answer. I still have my old prop and it does not have what I would call a set or allen screw as you describe. I would suggest you message Bill Layton. If he can not answer your question e-mail Gori at http://www.gori-propeller.dk/.

Hopefully someone can tell you more.

Bill

Edited by Bill Layton - 10 August 2010 at 9:23pm
tonycooke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 3:04pm
Hi Bill,

Thanks for your help and advice. I got the cotter pin out and backed off the nut until it was free of the threads - but the prop will not slide off more than 3/8 to 1/2 inch, then it sticks fast.
The original manual that came with the boat says to take a locking allen screw out of the hub. I'm not referring to the 4 allen screws that lock the hinge pins in place, I mean the one that is further forward on the hub.
I think I remember doing this when I removed the prop about 5 years ago. I haven't removed the prop since - remiss of me I now know. Trouble is, I can't see the allen screw now, there's a very shallow hole in the outer layer of the hub but just metal below, no screw.
Maybe the dampening sleeve wear you refer to has allowed the components of the hub to rotate on themselves and now the outer metal layer has ridden over the locking allen screw.
Is that likely, do you think?
If so, how do I get the allen key back into alignment with the hole so as to remove it and allow the prop to slide off the shaft? I've tried putting the engine in gear and firmly hitting the prop blade (with a lump of wood as protection) but it doesn't rotate in relation to the metal below, not at all.
I really appreciate your help Bill, thanks and regards
Tony       
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:24pm
Hello Tony,

If you read elsewhere on this site you will see reference to the original propeller design having a rubber dampening sleeve that eventually wears out. The play you are getting is probably from that sleeve. There is no way the propeller can jump teeth on the spline. It may appear to be doing that becasue of sleeve failure. You may, however, have a burr on the shaft where you removed the cotter pin that is preventing the propeller assembly from moving aft on the shaft. Check that first and remove the burr. Be careful not to damage the threads on the shaft.

If can get the cotter pin out you should be able to back off the nut off without removing the blades, assuming the nut was not put on with a wrench. Back off the nut as far as you can and then slide the propeller assembly aft on the shaft as far as you can and then unscrew the nut some more, etc., etc. Note there are washers between the nut and the propeller assembly. Be careful not to loose them and remember the sequence. As best I remember the most forward washer is machined on the inside diameter to go over the spline.

There is no reason to ever use a wrench to tighten this nut since there is a spline transfering the engine power to propeller assembly. The nut should just be finger tight to align the hole through the shaft for the cotter pin with the nearest grove or opening in the nut. I would recommend you always use new stainless cotter pins when you reinstall the propeller. Some varieties of stainless steel will fatigue and break very quickly when bent at sharp angles just a few times.

I would also recommend you remove the propeller, inspect and clean the zinc anode each year as also discussed elsewhere on this web site.

Hope this helps.

Bill
tonycooke View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonycooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 November 2009 at 9:12pm
Hi,

Can any one help please? My prop has quite a bit of play on the shaft, and I want to check it plus replace the zinc anode. I'm having difficulty removing the prop. Taking out the split pin was a challenge because it wasn't lined up with the gap between the blades. That was a surprise because I had the prop off about 4 years ago and remember aligning it so installation of the split pin would be easy.
I unscrewed the castellated nut, and the prop slid off about three eighths of an inch then wouldn't budge, despite some WD40 and gentle hammering with a wood block.

I've read elsewhere on this site that it is not necessary to remove the blades to get the prop off. Is that correct?

Could the prop have jumped on the drive shaft splines do you think? It is not spinning on the shaft, I get good speed and power.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic