Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rig tuning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rig tuning
    Posted: 02 November 2009 at 2:00pm
Voila 166 is back in service having completely stripped and refinished her, faired the foils, refined the bottom, etc. Having refined the hull, we now focus on the rig and sails.

I have used all the tuning data that I have collected from historical articles and forum information, basically suggesting tension on the uppers in the 32-35 range, and and lowers seem to be suggested at about 13% less than that, such as 32 uppers, 28 lowers, etc. When my rig is set up at 32/28, and with a fore stay length of 32'6 1/2", the rig is substantially raked back and has substantial pre-bend. It looks like a banana. Such a mast shape requires a lot of luff curve in the mainsail. Is this resultant of the use of Dacron mainsails within the class? Is such a set up something of yesterday's history and not used today owing to more stable sailcloth availability, etc? Or is this the way a Laser rig is set up in 2009 if planning to use modern exotic non-class material in the main for PHRF racing? Or is it just some inherent characteristic of the Laser that the rig needs to look like a banana. No other rigs look like this.

Additionally, after yesterday's race, I'm throwing out the old #1 that came with the boat and considering switching to a code 4 up front owing to the wider range of winds that it can handle. I have no intention of carrying two No. 1's as I saw once recommended in a Twinglines article, with a heavy and a light. Too much stuff! I feel that the range of a maxi number 1 is just too narrow and on-the-fly head sail changes on small boats are really painful.

Suggestions?   

There are no other Lasers here, so I don't have anyone else's experience to go by.

jez rees View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jez rees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 3:48pm
From our fairly recent experience of the same thing, I would say that the banana shape of the mast is correct. It looks extreme but we set the boat up with a forestay length of 9.932m as recommended in this forum with 32 caps and 28 lowers Loos gauge. The bend is radical but no more so than an X99. All I can say is that Farr Out goes like a train upwind now - downwind the forestay is very very slack but that doesn't worry me. This summer we mistakenly left the old ragged dyneema core backstay on whilst doing 9 knots under kite - the backstay blew to pieces but the rig stayed up...
Simon Gregoire View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 5:41pm
The recommended rake nowadays is actually 32' 6-3/4", so you may want to try that rake too. A tension of 32 on the uppers is pretty much where you want it. As for the lowers, just adjust them until you get the desired shape in the main. I have seen boats with straight masts go as fast as the banana ones. All you really want to do is adjust the prebend to the cut of YOUR mainsail, nothing else.

Not sure what you mean by a code 4, but I agree, one #1 Genoa is enough.

Simon
Colibri - 224
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 6:52pm
I appreciate the input. Simone, at 32 the pre-bend is significant and the lowers could only reduce that if screwed down very tight which would then limit the side bend and cause the top to fall off disproportionately to the bottom and mid-section. If I have it right, the 32 is about right to get the required fore stay tension, and the "banana" is a result of that. Hence the main needs to be cut to suit the curve of the mast since curve can't be reduced without either reducing the tension in the uppers, losing fore stay tension, or modifying the mast butt-end cut (heaven forbid). Am I understanding this correctly?

Much thanks to all so far.
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 10:10am
BTW, the rig does typically look like a banana, so it is an expected shape of this mast that you usually don't see on most boats. Have you looked at your main with tensions of 28-32? Is it overly flat? If so, I would try uppers at 30 and ajust lowers to get the desired pre-bend. Yes this gives you a little more headstay sag, but not necessarily a bad thing in lighter air (more power), especially if there are waves. If it blows, then applying backstay will take care of that sag. Where is the boat located? Are there any waves over there?

I'm not sure if the rig is best optimized with the curved mast rather than a straight one as I've pretty much always had a deep enough main to require a decent amount of prebend. So you may be right, I don't know.

Simon
Colibri - 224

Edited by Simon Grégoire - 03 November 2009 at 10:33am
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 12:10pm
This is one of my favorite topics. I've had my boat 3 years now and of course, I'm always trying to get more out of her.
I have a North kevlar main that came w/ the boat and I don't know what kind of curve it was cut for. There is a good thread in "what the winners use". At 32/28, my main hangs with a big wrinkle/sag down the middle. At 32/30, it looks better but not perfect. In the Spring, maybe I'll take a shot at 30/30.
I'm wondering if I should replace the main and if so, with what. I remember a post recommending a Laser28 sail-maker in Canada, but I can't find the post... can someone remind me?
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Gregoire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2009 at 1:42pm
Denise Bienvenu from Montreal can provide you with very fast Laser 28 sails. She and her loft have worked hard in the last 10 years or more to come up with optimal cuts for the Laser 28, as opposed to most other lofts that will just sell you the "generic" cut based on the boat's parameters. She can be reached at (613) 631-9845.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 10:19am
I'd be interested in trying out a used mylar main that Denise has cut but I'm assuming that everything is being cut from Dacron for the one design. fj
murph View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2009 at 1:55pm
Hi fj,
Denise here, curious why you are looking at mylar main instead of Dacron. Maybe I am misunderstanding your use of the word Mylar....  If you are referring to an Aramid laminate, then that is a different thing. 
There is no doubt that an Aramid laminate will have better shape retention over the life span of the mainsail, but Dacron is still a good "bang for your dollar", and yes we still have the Dacron material limitation for OD racing.  I have my race Dacron mainsail from this past season, if you are interested that sail, or I can make you one that is made of an Aramid laminate if you prefer, but the cost difference would be substantial.
I roll over my sails every year, so there is very little time on them.  I spent a lot of time racing bigger boats on the East Coast this past season, so this year in particular the sails have very few regattas on them. 2 regattas and 9 Wednesday evening races in total.
Let me know if any of these might interest you.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2009 at 1:36am
Hi Denise,
Your correction is accurate, when I said "mylar", I meant an aramid laminate type sail. And I was thinking laminate because I didn't think there would be a used dacron main available that was still crisp. Your offer sounds like a great idea, thank you, john
BILLMAN View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 2:51pm
Hi All  Have just become a member of the laser28 class,And i am starting to race on a old boat from the south coast  I am only crew an not the owner. have just sailed the boat 3 times and have a load of questions to ask,Can any of you experience members help,I will start with the traveler and the main sheet any help would welcomed  as on this boat they seem very heavy . BILLMANQuestion
lucgmix View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucgmix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 2:57pm
Hi Billman,

You should read this topic http://www.laser28.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=282
Luc Gregoire

Colibri 224

Tactician
Hoodoo View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoodoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 10:06pm
The Doyle tuning guide suggests a trick with the genoa halyard to mesure the forestay lenght. Does this method gives the same 32'6"3/4 forestay lenght?

It can be a good way to make sure we have the right lenght if our mast is up and can't mesure our forestay (?).

frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2011 at 6:34pm
I suggest you measure your fore stay pin-to-pin while it is up. We use a mast tower to do this, but using a chair to get to the top of the fore stay is not a big deal. While set up to do this measure, also measure from the center of the top pin to the top of the swage at the bottom of the stay and mark that distance. Then you will always be able to relate that to adjustments you may make from time to time in the total length. Don't forget to write that number down in a safe place. In fact, put it in three places so that it doesn't get lost.

There is much written on the tuning of these boats. Most comes from owners/sailors active in the one-design racing, and largely these people have the most experience with the boat. However, most are using sails that come from the same loft. No doubt that loft has more experience than any other working with the Laser and using their sails and tuning information is the quickest way to get maximum drive from a set of sails and rig. However, if you own a set of sails made by another loft, then some of that tuning information becomes less applicable, except for fore stay length. My own boat has sails from another loft and I suspect my main is cut flatter and won't set well using a typical 32 loos on the uppers and 28 on the lowers (a common average among the OD fleet). Such a set-up provides very substantial pre-bend and if your sail is not cut to that then the sail will become far too flat. When you slacken the uppers to fit the flatter main, you will then sacrifice fore stay tension requiring fuller cut head sails.........etc, etc, etc.

In summary, set the fore stay length starting at the 32'-6 3/4", and then set the shrouds to a tension that fits your main sail. Experiment with fore stay lengths within +-3/8", but I doubt you will like anything shorter than 6 3/4" because the helm will have no feel. Have fun!
lucgmix View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucgmix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 1:05pm
Hoodoo,

I never mesured using the Doyle tuning guide, so the best method is what frfletch is suggesting. Mesure from pin to pin and make a reference mesurement at the bottom to be able to replicate the mast rake without the need for going up the mast.

Also, the tension of 32 (uppers) and 28 (lowers) is just a starting point. This setting works well if the mainsail cut is fairly deep. I have tuned various Laser 28 masts so it matches the mainsail design and have seen big differences even with sails from the same loft. For very flat mainsails, I have gone as far as 31 uppers and 31 lowers, this makes the mast almost straight and helps create some depth.
Luc Gregoire

Colibri 224

Tactician
Chris Ross View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2011 at 7:51am
Usually the reason for the bananna rig is to get more of the leech of the main at a 90 deg angle to the airflow over the sail. This simply makes more use of the sail area that you have, and it also can change the neutral rudder angle as well. I just had a really flat main made, but I still prefer less prebend so I can get more adjustment out of the backstay. I also like to keep my uppers and lowers loose, so I can get the number 1 sheeting angle a bit tighter, and for me a little power loss is ok because I race single handed.... well, I didn't get to race the laser at all this year... darn job...    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic