Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed measurement tools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed measurement tools
    Posted: 07 September 2009 at 10:27pm
So my knotmeter has died and there seems to be no replacement for it so I am interested what the fast folks use. GPS systems? Which ones? where did you mount them - what are the challenges fo installation? As I try to learn this boat I am flying blind so any guidance would be most welcome!   :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 8:27am
Depends on your budget Bill,
I've had knotmeter failures on 2 different boats and in both cases I did a google search and found the manufacturer. In both cases the technician told me I could send parts in for verification and options for repair or discounted replacement.
That said, my knotmeter is on the fritz again. Maybe it was damaged when we were surfing at 16.3 knots.
Anyway, you should have a handheld GPS regardless of your knotmeter situation and that will get you by for a little while.
If you end up replacing your knotmeter, I would get equipment that can be integrated to create a system. Then you can add on instruments for wind speed and direction if you want. Again, if you contact the manufacturer of your existing unit, they may give you a discount on an upgrade.
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 7:33am
Standard Communications made it and they no longer are in business making marine tools - no lucj with search engines, couple of local boats places, and even West Marine techs (who have been helpful in my past liffe). So fixing it seems to be a dead end alas. I would love to hear from others who have put in some type of system and what they liked/disliked. My challenge with a handhled unit is my sterring is already bad enough..... :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 10:00am
My 2-cents.

It depends on what you are using it for. A GPS is ok if you are navigating but if you are trying to race you really need speed through the water (defined as boat-speed) from a log transducer. The reason is twofold. First, GPS speed isn’t sensitive enough. Second, GPS speed is S.O.G. (speed over ground) which isn’t really what you want to help you steer correctly. S.O.G. includes current effects. By the way, for similar reasons the GPS shouldn’t be used as a racing compass to keep track of headers and lifts. GPS isn’t sensitive enough and it provides C.O.G. (course over ground) not heading.

I have a classic Nexus system with speed, wind, wind direction, and depth. I also have a KVH “Sail-Comp” electronic compass and a simple hand-held GPS. Both the electronic compass and GPS are tied into the Nexus system.

For racing, the most important data to use while steering is the boat-speed and compass heading. I only use the GPS to tell me distance and direction to the next way-point because our marks can be hard to see. The wind data is interesting but not really necessary for the type of racing we do.

The boat came with Nexus and KVH. I only added the GPS. If I were to do it over again, I’d look at both the Tactic and the Nexus II. I believe both are “wireless” and therefore are much easier to install. In both you can start simple, with the log transducer and depth only, and add elements on as you see fit. In either case, you can very easily send a single from a hand-held GPS. Since it’s much easier to enter information on the hand held GPS than into the Nexus or Tactic instrument packages, I would not bother with the Nexus or Tactic GPS transducer.    
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 4:24pm
khardy has it right.
We've used GPS against the Knotmeter to detect foul current and sail out of it to gain 1 kt over ground. Huge difference in a 20 mile race. Drive, watch heading on compass and boat speed on knotmeter display, let your crew watch the gps (Handheld). It keeps thier head in the game. Instuments are expensive so buy what you need. I have a WestMarne knotmeter and Tactic, both came with the boat, a handheld gps garmin 12(?). If you think you want wind instruments consider what ou need them for. If the boat is tipping change headsails, if it tips still, reef main. The mast head windex tell me where the wind is coming from!!

WarBird
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 4:54pm
Yea, agree,
I was itchy to upgrade my instruments until I saw the price tag. So I sat myself down and said justify what you need. Depth gauge, knotmeter, GPS, timer, compass... good to go.
john
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 7:37am
So what did you chooose fayjohnz?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic