Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interprotect

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFG104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interprotect
    Posted: 15 March 2009 at 3:22pm
Is it worth the time and money to do an Interprotect job on L28 hull? Is VC17 considered to be a protection besides the glide factor? Boat is on a fresh water lake.
Thanks, JFG
murph View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2009 at 10:31pm
yes interprotect definitely helps against osmosis/blistering in fresh water.

JFG104 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFG104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2009 at 8:55am
Some say Interprotect will keep the humidity inside the hull... our hull has no sign of osmosis/blistering at this point. What should we do? JFG
murph View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2009 at 5:32pm
Sometimes we see a light rash begining....then is a good time to sand lightly and coat with interprotect. However not all L28's have this problem.... since your boat is fine I'd be inclined to leave it as-is and just keep an eye on it
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2009 at 2:36pm

My surveyor told me I had moisture after our first season.  I was planning to strip the tar and go interprotect any way.  Interprotect is tough to tip out on the first coat but may tip a little better on successive coats.  Rolled a ton of coats (6-7) in grey. sanded smooth and filled any hollows with a thick coat or two.  Rolled on two coats of white and smoothed the hull. 

WarBird 0169

fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:05am
I did the 6-7 recommended coats of interprotect on my '85 Merit 25 and it left me questioning whether it was really worth it. Personally I would not put it on an older boat again but that's just my opinion. My Laser has/had a nice Baltoplate finish and putting interprotect on her is out of the question.
VC17 provides no protection from water penetration.
I prefer the VC offshore. I just finished a 2nd coat of offhore yesterday (1 gallon + 1 quart for 2 coats). Similar and compatible w/ Baltoplate. Hard as a rock and good antifouling. A quick power-sand today followed some hand sanding and she should be good for 2 seasons (fresh/brackish environment).
the freak flag is flying
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2009 at 10:34am

Warbird hit the nail on the head. I put on Interprotect four years ago and it has performed very well with no blisters or lifting. Just make sure you are down to the gelcoat and have absolutely no surface contaminants. Interlux makes a solvent to prep the surface. Be sure to use it or MEK solvent (NOT MEK Peroxide) or Acetone. If there is the possibility of any wax on the surface, use Toluene as well. These solvent are hazardous (Toluene is very hazardous) so be sure to wear heavy black rubber gloves used for chemicals and solvents. Lowe’s or Home Depot sells them in the paint dept. Set up a fan to gently blow the fumes and vapors away from your face as you apply it. Strong vapor concentrations can cause damage to your eyes, so just a respirator is not enough. Get it right now, understand the basics, and you will have many years of good sailing.

Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2009 at 4:38pm
This is interesting, when I bought my boat last fall the surveyor told me that there was moisture in the hull. He said that since there was no delamination not to worry about it, and go sailing. He recommended against a barrier coat on the premise that at this point a barrier coat just traps whatever moisture is already in there. The horse is already out of the barn...

It's always been a fresh water boat, now moving to salt water, so I'm in the process of sanding off the VC-17 to apply Vivid. It looks like there may be a layer or two of VCtar underneath the VC-17 (dark brown stuff but not shiny) but I've never seen VCtar before. The gelcoat looks great, really no indication of any blisters. I think I'm just going to rough it up with 80 grit and apply a few coats of Vivid, and go sailing. Hopefully I won't regret this decision. The boat will be hauled out for 6-7 months every year.

Quote: Originally posted by WarBird on 21 March 2009

My surveyor told me I had moisture after our first season.  I was planning to strip the tar and go interprotect any way.  Interprotect is tough to tip out on the first coat but may tip a little better on successive coats.  Rolled a ton of coats (6-7) in grey. sanded smooth and filled any hollows with a thick coat or two.  Rolled on two coats of white and smoothed the hull. 

WarBird 0169

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2009 at 11:42am
I suspect the core moisture problem is occuring inside the boat.... these boats all leak thru the windows etc and water gets trapped in the ribnetwork liner, that supports the keel loads. Those areas were not painted with gelcoat before the liner was bonded in place. So when the bilge is full of water (quite common) it gets under the liner and sloshes around, then gets absorbed into the core. I've never seen a L28 check out dry on a moisture meter check ever. I've seen boats that were Interprotected at the factory still have hull moisture readings. Also I've never seen any delams because of this. The core we used was a closed cell cross-linked Termanto PVC foam core, used also for the deck. This stuff appears to stay bonded no matter how much water travels thru it. BTW this was a very high end foam we imported from Italy by the container. I believe its still being used today. Here's a mention on it

http://books.google.ca/books?id=pPirpE73tDYC&pg=PA174&lpg=PA174&dq=termanto+closed+cell+foam&source=bl&ots=o5WIVhVlvp&sig=QcPjvurYB9g_mhz8BB8R2EqYyHc&hl=en&ei=xofPSb7VGZjrlQebvuTICQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=7&ct=result
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2009 at 1:49pm

Bills point on water entering from inside is probably right on.  We stripped the vc tar off because it was checking and/or peeling all over.   Stripping tar is an ugly job.  We found home supply store have strippers $12-$18 gal that are similar (same?) as the WestMarine $65 product.  We used the project to FAIR the hull, there were some obvious hollows that we filled with extra layers of interprotect.  The keel to stub joint got extra attention.  We stick with VC 17 for bottom paint.  We "swim the boat"   (wipe off the bottom w/l to keel bottom) before regattas. We re paint annually with a quart or quart and a half if someone else has a left over half from thier bottom.

Do not, I repeat Do not start a new interprotect or any other bottom job now!!! If it was good enough for 24 years it can wait till fall.  We stripped the bottom over a period of a week to three weeks in October/November.  I'd apply stripper to a section and go to work.  Crew would show up at noon or so and clean off the stripper and add a new coat or do a new section. I'd stop after work for an hour of cleaning off what crew left for me.  No hurrys, no commissioning burnout, plenty of time for Beer.  IF the moisture was from gel coat absorbsion (see Bill Layton comments above) the boat had a whole winter and early spring to release that moisture.  Then we did the prep, de-waxing et cetra for the barrier coat.  It was a big job but we broke it into managable pieces.

JFG104 View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JFG104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2009 at 10:04am
Hi,

Boat is nearly stripped: gelcoat is nice and smooth, no signs of blistering or or major humidity detected, just normal stuff for a L28, recent survey found not dead spots on hammer test. There's one hairline 10" crack through waterline in line with port cabin window. Keel joint is perfect, some light scratches here and there that will be faired.

Now, I consider 3 options:

1. Roll 2 coats of West system pure epoxy before VC-17m (did this on previous boat with great results);

2. 2-3 coats of International VCTAR before VC-17m;

3. Complete Interprotect job (5 coats?), then VC-17m.

Since I couldn't prepare the boat last fall and let it dry during winter months, I'm afraid Interprotect treatment will tarp present humidity inside. How about VCTar? I like the idea of letting the boat breath during winter months. Is this a myth???

Hope my english is not too bad
Thanks much for your advices.

JFG
Thanks
murph View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 1:15am
yeah think I'd prefer Interprotect (have that on my boat after removing mudcracked vctar yrs ago @#$%^&*....have used the others....vctar definitely last on the list. I think interprotect is more flexible than straight west sys epoxy. However its your choice

Cheers Bill Layton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic