Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

main sails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: main sails
    Posted: 16 November 2008 at 10:29pm
I need a new main and would like some imput as to who makes the best one.  I race only PHRF and we generally have less than 15knts of wind and smooth seas. We do go in some stiff winds at times 30 -40 with 2-3 meter seas   My last one was a composite but I am thinking about going back to Dacron for the new one.  Do people still get the second reef? 
mcclintock
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2008 at 10:28am
Pretty safe to say in the east where big L28 fleets race against each other regularly, Quantum One-Design Sails have it wrapped up. Denise Bienvenu (514-631-9845) is Quantum's One-Design rep for the L28, and the L28 owner with the most wins.....she can bring u upto speed :)
WarBird View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WarBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2008 at 12:46pm

Gerry,

I have hade some success with a composite main cut extra flat.  Main are usually cut with about 12% draft according to my sail maker.  Mine is built with 9.5-10%.  The boat goes powered up early so aflatter main seemed to make sense.  (We race down wind races with a full dacron main, chafe,wear and tear considered).  We power up the flat main by easing outhaul and pulling on vang.  This pulls the leach and put a lot of draft up in the upper batten.  Not perfect, but with a boat as tender, 30-35% ballast, it works pretty well .  Look carefully at how much area you can gety into that main.  Rapscallion (see other posts) has found a lot of room for extra area in the main.  E-mail him, he will explain.  The more main area you get, the sooner you go to a #3 jib and we all know this boat really shines in a PHRF fleet once you are into #3 conditions. 

warbird@bytehead.com

Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2008 at 1:21pm

Hello Gerry,

I really like my North dacron main.  When I bought it three years ago I asked them about 3DL for the main and they said that for a boat the size of a Laser 28 dacron would be a better choice.  They told me that the shape of a dacron main can be adjusted better than a more high tech fabric and they were correct.  I bought mine through the North loft in Chicago and I have never been sorry.  The sail still has great shape.  Get the double reef.  If your winds are generally above 7 knots, I would suggest a design wind speed of 10 knots.  When you talk to the sail makers see how that wind speed compares to the 10% draft suggested above.  It should be pretty close.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic