Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cabin top winch ring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cabin top winch ring
    Posted: 30 September 2008 at 1:44pm
The composite black ring on the top of my Maxwell 14 broke so I had those good fellers in Australia send me two. Now I have a spare. If anyone is interested, I'll part with it for $40 plus shipping. john
the freak flag is flying
Cayuga View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cayuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2008 at 6:29pm
John, I'm interested in your spare. Tried sending you a PM but I'm not sure you'd ever see it. Email me: kurtz(at)bu.edu

--Andy
Mad Max View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Max Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 8:58am
Repairing Maxwell 14 Winch.

The Maxwell 14 winch has a plastic top cap that snaps into a grove on the winch drum.   After 24 years of service the ring developed cracks and finally broke into 2 pieces.

I cleaned the parts and waxed the winch drum and broken top cap plastic ring with mold release.  Place the broken part back on the drum and tape to hold to hold in place.  Packing tape works well.  Place the winch drum upside down on wax paper on a flat surface.

Using auto body filler, cover the outer portion of the plastic ring and build the filler up on the winch drum.  This makes a female mold of the plastic ring on the winch. When the body filler hardens and while still green, dig out the plastic ring.  Clean up the mold and fair any imperfections.  When fully cured apply mold release to the new female mold.

Wax the inner core, the part the winch handle goes into.  Place this part into the winch drum.  You may want to put on an several layers of wax paper to provide clearance for the drum to spin when finished.  You'll need to make sure the epoxy won't run down the shaft. This completes the mold.

Using unidirectional carbon fiber cloth, pull strands 12” long from cloth, saturate with west system epoxy using 207 Hardener for its ultraviolet protection or the cap will eventually turn yellow.  Lay strands in mold circling the winch over lapping strands.  Push strands down packing as tight a possible.  Build strands up to top of mold or a little higher.  Cover the winch with a layer of carbon fiber cloth, which will give the winch a nice appearance when finished.  Cover this with wax paper.  Cover project with anything flat and smooth, put weight on to compress and let cure. 

You will need to cut a circle in the carbon fiber on the top of the winch.  Cut just large enough to clear the winch core when you remove it.  A little pounding may be required to drive it out.  I used a Dremel tool to do the cutting.  Be careful not to breathe any dust from the carbon fiber.  Chisel away the bondo on the outside of the drum.

Clean up and reassemble parts, you should have a new winch looking identical to the original with a beautiful carbon fiber top minus the Maxwell name.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic