Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eclipse in 100th Chicago to Mac Is. Race

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eclipse in 100th Chicago to Mac Is. Race
    Posted: 02 July 2008 at 4:41pm
I have entered my boat in the 100th running of the Chicago Mac Race. This year there will be over 450 boats participating. We will certainly be one of the smallest boats out there. During the race, we will have a GPS transponder that will give live updates as to where we are during the race. If you are bored at work visit http://chicagoyachtclub.org/racetomackinac and check out how were are doing.

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 8:03am
How did you do?  I read the post late and figure you are already at the bar enjoying your success by now! 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 8:52am
It isn't for another 11 days! Will certainly let you know how it went though.
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2008 at 9:31am

I sailed on the Mac two years ago on a 40’ boat. I believe the race is billed as the longest fresh water race in the world and it was a noteworthy experience. After doing it once, however, I decided I would not do it on my Laser 28 as the race is too long (333 miles) and too grueling for a smaller boat.  They also require so much safety equipment and you need so much food and water (take plenty) that you are no longer a light displacement boat. That said, I obviously wish you guys the best in the race.  The parties before and after don’t get any better.  Make sure you have at least two GPS’s with maps and plenty of batteries as Gray’s Reef Passage in big seas and the Straits are no picnic as you probably know.  Good luck!!  I will track your progress.

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2008 at 7:46am
So how did you do?  I checked the Chicago YC site but it only had the top 5 in each division.  Have fun?
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2008 at 11:44pm
We had a great time. We finished in about 70 hours, so it was a slow ride. Our gut feeling was that we were doing fairly well until we got hit by the storm in the Manitous. That sustained storm kicked our butt. We were 15 miles south of grey's reef when it hit, then got dark. So we were sailing under the lapper and a reefed main. Eventually, we went to a reefed main alone because the rain was coming in sheets, we had all we could do to see the instruments and compass. Of course when this happened we were sailing straight up wind and taking 5-6 waves on the nose too. The final blow was when my instruments failed and my windex was ripped off the tope of the mast.

When the sun came up, we got through the reef and finished. Looking at the race tracker, we could have finished in our section in the top five prior to the storm, but alas, that is how it goes...have to finish the whole race, not just 3/4 of it.

So in the end we finished 12th out of 21 in our sections and 140th out of 200 for the Chi-Mac trophy.

The boat handled the race wonderfully and given the right year and conditions, a Laser 28 could do very well.

And it felt pretty good beating some pretty big boats that we shouldn't have.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic