Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raise/lower mast tricks-n-tips?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raise/lower mast tricks-n-tips?
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 11:31pm
I am getting ready for hull #155's move to Louisville, KY and while I have sent emails to the class and would liek to read the manuals so far no luck.  I seek your collective guidance on how the mast is raised/lowered especially if a mast tower is not available.  Thank you all!   :)bill ryan
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 5:44pm

I have the manual in a PDF.  What's your e-mail address?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 1:48am

I just raised mine today, kudos to krew and friends I called at 2:30, raised art 4!!!  A crutch/crotch/ strut at the transom works great.  Bottom edge rests on hull/deck joint, 4-5' (approx) tall, V cut in top lined with carpet optional.   Strut Fastened with u-bolts to top pushpit rail, rope to bottom pshpit rail.  Carry mast back (from resting on pulpit) until spreader is near crutch. mast butt is now just aft of base and nearly balanced.  Insert the base bolt of mast base and deck fitting.  Have assistant rotate the stick at the spreaders,  do not  hammer the bolt, you need it next year and the year after.  One or better two on the dock in front of you pull on spin sheets tied to  jib halyards as you and one other lift mast at spreaders  in cockpit, then cabin top.  The easy secret is to have people infront (and above) the boat on the dock for better angle pulling the stick up.  a wrap on a dock cleat for security  is nice.  Headstay pin first, then mast base nuts.  This assumes you started with upper and lowers attached and loosened 6-15 turns from your race setup.  Don't mess with headstay length to make it all fit.  There is not a lot of room to move it from the number (length) you like best and a few turns on the uppers equal dozens of turns on the forestay.

A 5th person can help in the cockpit to claer line etc.  Check and lube sheaves, check cotters and T-balls, wiring etc before you go.  Uppers and lowers loosened and slack in the backstay. If you hoist with a headstay less than 30'6" (32'6"?) disconnect yiur back stay or you will be fighting it.

Cheers 

WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 9:00am
THank you all for the words of advice, Hull #155 arrive in Louisville, KY next weekend and I admit being nervous (and psyched too!).  I have sent an email to KHardy with my email and thank you for your kind offer of the pdf files - I am one of those that likes to read the directions (go figure!).  THanks all , :)bill
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
WJRyan View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJRyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2008 at 9:17am
Oops - just in case my email address is current if you click my name and read the profile (WJRyan@ix.netcom.com).  Thanks again to all! 
Bill Ryan,

Room4Crew, #155
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic