Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Primary Winchs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Primary Winchs
    Posted: 16 July 2007 at 9:25am

During routine maintenance on my Maxwell winches I dropped a part overboard.  Does anybody have a manual with an exploded parts view they can e-mail me?  I have all the rest of the parts so I should be able to identify the part I’m missing and hopefully order it.

Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:54pm

It is my understanding that Maxwell was bought out by another company and not all parts are available. I would suggest you not spend any more time working the Maxwells and install new winches if at all possible. I bought Harken 32.2 ST’s (self-tailing) for my primary and Harken 16.2 for my cabin tops winches and they are the correct size for this boat and work great. The cabin tops work fine for cross sheeting the spinnaker. Both sizes are two speed and in all fairness I do not know if the two speed cabin tops are class legal since the stock Maxwells were single speed. You would have to write Bill Layton to find out if you can't find it elsewhere on this web site. As best I remember the bolt hole patterns for the Harkens are not same as the Maxwells. I took the primary winch bases off the boat and had a welder fill the holes with 2024 Aluminum and machined new holes for the Harkens. Use only a very experienced aluminum welder so that the bases do not distort from over heating. When positioning the primary Harkens note that Harken recommends a particular orientation to the direction from which the sheet is pulling. Note also that the two of holes closest to the centerline of the boat have bolts that go all the way through the deck to hold the winch and the base to the deck. You have to align the winches as best you can to satisfy both requirements. You will have to fill the old cabin top holes with resin and filler before drilling new holes and you may have to do a little gelcoat work to enlarge the base slightly. See gelcoat discussion at Laser28.com for more information on gelcoat. I tried to keep the location of the aft most part of the winch the same for the cabin top winches, keeping only the aft hole from the Maxwell hole layout as best I remember. The best pricing I have found for new winches is at Rigging Only (http://www.riggingonly.com/). These winches work so much better than the Maxwells (in particular the self-tailing mechanism) you will most likely wish you had done this long ago.

Hope this helps.

Bill 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:22pm

Sounds like a lot of work to convert to the Harkens.

Diving mask khardy??? 

-Just repacked my Maxwells yesterday. The harbour gods must have been smiling as all my parts stayed on board.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 1:25pm

Maxwell Winches
Rig-Rite no longer stocks any parts for Maxwell Winches. Maxwell Marine (a New Zealand company) has been out of the sheet & halyard winch business for over a decade, concentrating currently on Anchor Windlasses and related hardware. For help with, or parts for Maxwell Anchor Windlasses, See their website @ color=#800080 www.maxwellmarine.com.

Residual parts inventories and much of the remaining tooling for Maxwell Sheet & Halyard Winches has been acquired by The Australian Yacht Winch Company, who still offer many parts for these Winches. Their Maxwell Winch Parts Page is on-line @ color=#0000ff www.arco-winches.com/maxwellspares.html.

-found the above through google.
khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 3:07pm

D Farrand,

We tried the diving mask.  The black winch part fell into the black silt and likely sank several inches.  Not that you could see in the black water anyway…

As you note, Maxwell sold their tooling and parts to ARCO of Australia.  My marine industry buddy dealt with them a few years ago and found them to be a reliable source for Maxwell winch parts.  I’ve already sent them an e-mail.  I believe we have a good chance for finding the part there. 

Bill,

Thanks for the advice.  New wenches are awfully expensive.  But if I completely strike out on finding the part I’ll be buying new harkens as you suggest with the exception that I won’t install self tailing winches; I’ll go with harken 32.2As’.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 4:11pm
New wenches can be awfully expensive if your wife finds out! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic