Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The right location for a solarvent?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The right location for a solarvent?
    Posted: 27 January 2007 at 11:57am
Hello,

I intend to install a NICRO solarvent (stainless steel cover) on my boat. I think there are two possible locations for the vent: In the bow hatch with the disadvantage that less light reaches the cabin. Another option could be the deck between the bow hatch and the mast. Here the disadvantage might be that the bow man from time to time steps on the vent…
Do you have any recommendations?

Regards
Klaus

“Pawky Fox”, Kiel, Germany
Klaus
Bill Brock View Drop Down
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 3:16pm

Hello Klaus,

There was a solar powered vent on my boat when I bought it.  It is located on the top hatch board.  To be completely honest I never use it, so I don't know how well it works.  I do know in that location it is out of the way.  On the forward hatch your foredeck guy will be breaking his toes (and the unit) and you would significantly reduce the structural integrity of the hatch.  In all fairness, if want to put it through the deck, you should buy a cruising boat.  On a racing boat it would look considerably less than intelligent, to be polite. 

Best regards,

Bill

redfox View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 6:09pm
Hello Bill,

thank you for your answer. However, did we really talk about the same thing? Maybe I used the wrong English expression. I meant these little discuss shaped things approx. 15-20 cm in diameter and roughly 5 cm high. In our waters you can find them even on the most recent IMS racers. Also my old boat a X-79 that is much more a racer than a Laser 28 had one. I can not recognize the sin :-)

Regards
Klaus
Klaus
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2007 at 10:48pm

Hello Klaus,

Your English is fine. Most serious racers I know do not have them on their boat, as it is just another item to clutter up the deck. I am sure they may be stylish in some other fleets, however. It is strictly a personal preference, but it is more commonly found on cruising boats in the US or sometimes larger racing boats. I would still suggest the hatch board mounting on a Laser 28. A Laser 28 is not a big boat and no matter where you mount it, except for the hatch boards, someone will be tripping over it. Anywhere on the deck or forward hatch cover will be a problem for the serious racer.

Best regards,

Bill

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 11:51am

Klaus,

First, what is the vent’s primary purpose?  I ask because we have that exact vent installed on our boat but only to help prevent mildew, (we live in Florida.)  We don’t expect the vent to provide meaningful ventilation while we are on the boat sleeping.  The vent in installed as Bill recommends: in the top hatch-board.  We never leave the upper hatch board in while we are sailing so this location never interferes with crew work.    

That said, I wouldn’t install the vent in the forward hatch for strength reasons.  I suppose it would be fine somewhere on deck but I’m not brave enough to cut that large a hole in my boat.

Ken

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2007 at 10:10pm
I have two installed on my boat: one on the fordeck in front of the hatch, where the previous owner had installed a massive toe breaking, sail tearing, mooring cleat, and the other between the mast and the hatch. The one at the bow has an intake fan, and the one behind the mast an exhaust fan. Between them, the boat stays dry and mildew free. They would be very in the way, if we left them in place. So we remove them when we are racing, and replace them with watertight plastic plugs that fit in the same nicro openings. Takes about 10 seconds.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2007 at 10:36am
A boat at our club came with one in the forward hatch. The hatch was cracked...go figure.

If your boat has the single point lift, then you already have a 3 or 4 inch hole right in front of the hatch. Use that opening. Pop it out before sailing and put the plug in. When done swap the vent back in.
redfox View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2007 at 4:06pm
Hello again on the other side of the Atlantic Pond!

Thank you all for your advice. I think I will install the solarvent at a location on the foredeck and take it out during sailing (Is that okay Bill?:-)) .
However, now I have the next little problem. The vent is already equipped with a quick out 4" snap-in deck ring but I do not have the deck plate that fits in. Here in Germany it is no problem to buy a complete vent but it seems to be impossible to get such a little plastic deck plate, although it is listed in the catalog of Nicro Marine. Let's see how that problem can be solved...

Best regards
Klaus
Klaus
Skipper
Skipper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Brock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2007 at 12:26am

Hello Klaus,

I would suggest you go to the Nicro web site and work it from there.  Their site is: http://www.marinco.com/scpt/brandDrill.php?currentMarketName=Nicro%20Recreational.  If you can't find the information such as part number that you need, contact (e-mail) defender.com or westmarine.com to see if they can tell you which part you need.  They are two of the largest marine supply companies in the U.S.  Good luck.

Best regards,

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic