Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anti fouling paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti fouling paint
    Posted: 01 March 2006 at 6:33pm

Hi all

This had to happened one day...  Our marina has indicated that it no longer allows for anti-fouling paints to be used.

I think this policy does not make any sense but lack the scientific knowledge to put forward convincing arguments againts the policy.  Any help would be appreciated.

Also, any suggestion in the event that we cannot have this new policy changed ?  The way I understand this is that our boat has been faired using epoxy, has had interportek on top and VC17.  Does anyone know what could possibly used instead of the VC 17 that has a working chance ?

Thanks

André

Still Crazy III

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 8:49am

This depends alot on where the marina is; specifically temp of water, type of growth, etc....

Recomend you contact tech reps at interlux or similar.  They are likely to have the most scientific info regarding environmental concerns of thier products. 

Finally, i read on a general sailing forum about a J-105 sailor who didn't apply anti fouling paint at all.  He applied a barrier coat and then sprayed mc lube all over the bottom; i'm sure several can's worth.  He said he has the bottom cleaned weekly, but with the mc lube only the growth wipes off with a sponge.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2006 at 10:24am

Thanks for the info.

We sail in the Ottawa, Canada area, 5 months per year, fresh water and mostly cold climate.

André

Winner View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Winner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 9:42pm
Hi all.  Just purchased hull #240 (Eclipse, although I think there is another L28 named Eclipse posted on this forum).  I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Am prepping for winter storage this coming weekend.Although I won't likely apply the antifouling paint until the spring I wanted to check and see what the best to use was.  I've used VC17 before but I see the Laser 28 manual says on page 5 to not use a copper based bottom paint.

Thoughts?  Am I reading this right?
Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2011 at 11:53pm
Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Laser 28 class! VC-17 is the best antifouling paint for fresh water..... the manual only mentions not to coat the saildrive because it's aluminum. The best VC-17 is the american version with biolux. Its superior to the Canadian version.  Most if not all fresh water L28's use VC-17. 
frfletch View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frfletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2011 at 1:20am
Hello Guest. Here is another one that we used in Hong Kong. Have a relatively inexpensive tarp cut to the approx size. Small floats on the outside with a couple of flexible fiberglass or carbon tent posts keeping the tarp spread and some small fishing weights in the keel area to make it sink. Drive into the tarp and then raise the sides a little with ties to the lifelines or rail. The less water between the hull and the tarp the better. Then take a stocking and put one or two chlorine tablets into it and suspend it over the side. It doesn't take much to prevent growth in fresh water, and the tiny amount, say .2 or .3 (ppm)parts per million will not harm the environment. At least not in my opinion and represent less chlorine than is in the mains lines which likely fall into the lake anyway. Mains chlorine content is frequently in the .75 to 1.0 ppm level. This can be tested occasionally with a simple swimming pool test kit and adjustments made to suit. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic