Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asymmetrical spinnaker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymmetrical spinnaker
    Posted: 20 November 2005 at 5:17pm

We just bought Laser 28 #148 on Flathead Lake, MT. this fall. I was tired of getting horizoned in my PHRF192 boat by J27's. Had to put her to bed for the winter with only a test sail for memories until spring! We intend to use the boat mostly for cruising, lake racing and occasional club round the cans races. Two on board will be common.

Can I get feedback re ease of flying the spinnaker with 2 on board? Does anyone have experience flying an Asymmetric with a snuffer? I read the comments re furling with interest. I may also look at lazy jacks to make the boat as "couple friendly as possible.

The boat is rigged for reefing at the mast, as there was normally plenty of crew. I would appreciate any comments or photos of set ups for reefing from the cockpit.

Thanks

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 8:35am

My wife and i have no probelm flying the spin with just the two of us.  She steers (or the autohelm steers) while i rig, hoist, and trim.  Obviously we would have problems if there was a fresh breeze and we were trying to reach, but then we just stick w/ the jib.

BTW the two of us took the boat on a 30-mile trip down the bay when it was blowing close to 30-kts.  We used the class jib and a double reefed main.  I was amazed to hit 10-kts this way on a broad reach.  Granted this isn't the most comfortable sailing, the laser 28 isn't a crusing boat, but it was more than managable for the two of us.

Gerry McClintoc View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry McClintoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2005 at 12:37am

I have owned my Laser since 1987 when we bought it new.  My wife and I always fly the spinniker when we are cruising even if it is blowing up to 25.  It makes for fast passages and lots of fun.  I helm when it realy blows and she flighs the kite.  We have had the odd spectacular broch  but most of the time its just good fun.  I race the boat with a full crew without the wife as she has retired form racing. When we set the spinniker I rig it and then come back and steer and hang onto the sheet and guy  while she hoists once it is up she take the lines and off we go.  We take down in the cockpit by letting the guy go and pulling in the sheet and then dropping the spinniker.

mcclintock
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2006 at 3:48pm

Agree with Gerry's comments on 2 person spin work.

Re: Lazy jacks for the main. I converted our old 2nd main into a "family friendly" sail by having our local sail loft add luff slugs to the bolt rope. Makes hoisting and dousing easier as it keeps the main attatched to the mast when you drop it. Low friction and easy to work with. We also have a semi rigid Boom Kicker for our vang that keeps the boom up without the need for a topping lift. I find that this works well and that the sail is small enough that you shouldn't need lazy jacks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic