Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foredeck Hatch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foredeck Hatch
    Posted: 09 November 2005 at 4:42am

hey

Does anyone use the foredeck hatch when dropping or hoisting the spin. 

Here in Cape Town most boats use the hatch to hoist from and drop into as it is quick keeps the shhit out of the back of the boat an their is no need to go down below and repack the kite. 

Our own is not keen on using the forehatch.  And so far on teh last 3 wensday night sails we have torn the kite every hoist and drop taking it down the back.

Does the fleet use the hatch for drops or do they bring it down at the back and repack it.  We can't lose the weight on the rail as down here it blows hard always . 

Will the hatch withstand being handled? Looks like it is not very strong...

regards Nick

khardy View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khardy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2005 at 8:57am

We launch / retreive from the companionway.  Go to www.layline.com and look for the "mesh spinnaker bag."   This bag is suspended by two tight lines running fore and aft on either side of the companionway.  When not in use it slides foward allowing access to the ladder.  When we hoist we open the hatch and pull the bag back and let her rip.  When doucing we pull the spin back down into the bag.  We do not repack between settings unless we have to remove the sheets/halyards for some reason. 

I "jocked" this idea from the J-24 class i used to sail in.  Having launched spinnakers in every concivable way, i can assure you this works best.  Layline has two sizes, i got the bigger size but i suspect the smaller would work too.  If your outside the US (or want to save money) you could easily make one yourself or have a local canvas shop make one. 

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 3:24pm

That sounds like the best advice. I have used that system on a J24 also and plan to set up my L28 next season with a companionway bag. We have tried forward hatch with tears and jams also. Mostly we have launched from a bag clipped to the leward rail and doused into a messy cabin with a full pack down below.

Will do the "laundry basket" method next year as described by khardy.

D-out and ready for the snow in Toronto.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 6:09am

where does everyone store thier spinnikar poles?

we used to store ours on the boom but after Sailing last night we found that it is much quicker and easier to store the pole on the deck as we did not have to hassle to try and place it back on the boom.

Napadelis View Drop Down
Rookie
Rookie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Napadelis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 11:42pm

most of the L28s that i've sailed on launch out of a bag in the pulpit and douse in the companionway.  the pulpit bag gives u the option to gybe-set at the windward mark at the last second ('less' disgruntled foredeck).  i've heard arguements that "it adds windage"; very little affect if you're racing windward-leewards that aren't more than 2 nm.  for longer distance races, leave bag off until before u need it. 

btw, stowing the pole on the boom keeps the pole clear of the jib sheets.  if the foredeck remembers to keep the topping lift taut, it's very easy to swing the pole back thru the hoops.

Bob

CAN217

Bob Magtanong
Napadelis
CAN217
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic