Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Sailing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinnaker Dimensions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinnaker Dimensions
    Posted: 27 June 2005 at 12:59am

I am confused about the spinnaker dimensions.  The Specs on this website list the #2 Spinnaker as 670 sq ft.  The spinnaker we have (I thought it was a class sail) is about 32 ft on the leaches, 17.5 ft on the foot and 19 ft at the midgirth.  This computes to about 525 sq ft.  By the way, we sail PHRF, since there are few Lasers out here in So. Cal. 

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 8:48pm
Yes the original documented sq/footage was incorrect. You are correct
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 3:14am

Thanks Bill,

I just found in the class rules the max luff is 33.0 ft and the max midgirth is 19.6 ft.  Since no mention is made of the foot dimension, I assume a 19.6 ft foot is allowed, This would give about 560 sq ft. or 45 sq ft more than my old spinnaker.  Is this correct?

Bill Layton View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Layton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2005 at 9:16am
Yes this is true.....However max girth is a design feature....and its position varies between sailmakers. All spinnakers actually have an S curve on the leech or luff......since the spinn is a triangle this s curve allows control of max girth section.....so to have max girth at the foot and up top the effeciency would be poor at best.....for this reason u are unlikely to ever see max girth at the foot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic