Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forward hatch cover

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forward hatch cover
    Posted: 17 August 2024 at 2:30pm
Laser 28 forward hatch cover longitudinal brake, how to repair or replace, where to get replacement.
Advice appreciated
Thanks
Bob
RJS
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2024 at 7:21am
Hi Bob,
Laser28 hatches are tough to procure. It's a custom item, I'm afraid.
What I've done is send a request to eplastics.com along with a template they can use to form the new hatch on. The person at eplastics who has responded to my requests is James Waller (San Diego).
If your existing hatch is still intact, you could send that as a template. I would add some blocking at the front and rear under the peak of the curve. I've had my template compress under the pressure which results in a slightly flatter hatch than you would want.
If your hatch can't be used as a template then what I have done is build a plug. I took a few pieces of thin Luan and cut them to hatch size. Then put the 1st piece in the hatch hole, add glue to the top and apply the next piece and so on. Then press them into position with some bricks. I've also used this plug as a hatch cover in a pinch. lol
I ruined my last plug trying to fine tune the fit. Otherwise, I'd loan it to you.
john
Bobs View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2024 at 4:26pm
Thanks for your reply. I hope to find a local fabricator when the season is over. So far, duct tape and a big red circle on the hatch cover got us through the last race. I think the hatch cover will work as a template. I may have to try eplastics.com 
Thanks again
Bob
RJS
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2024 at 7:36am
If your hatch cover works as a template, hang on to it. I may ask to borrow it in the future. john
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2024 at 9:10pm
Check the Lake Ontario Laser 28 FB page.  There are sources to have one made there.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2024 at 7:08am
Thanks Ron, I've joined.
john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic