Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slugs On Main...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slugs On Main...
    Posted: 29 November 2021 at 1:00pm
I have an older Doyle main that has hardly been used and is in very good condition.   I have tremendous difficulty raising the main however.   Actually, it is not possible to raise the sail with 1 person.

Denise @ Evolution told me that the bolt ropes on the vintage main that I have were too big (dia.) and that nowadays new mains are built with a smaller bolt rope.    

I likely not buying a new main in this upcoming season (probably next season) so I am thinking about adding slugs to the existing sail.   

Does anyone sail with slugs on their main?   Do you race with it?

Thanks.
fatjohnz View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatjohnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 1:47pm
Hi Jamie, Interesting problem and solution.
Sail shapes have refined over the years so I would not really consider a vintage main a good racing sail even if the hoist was clean.
As far as converting to slugs, I watched some videos where it looks doable although labor intensive if you're going to stitch in some reinforcement patch under the grommets.
Also I'm trying to imagine what will happen at the headboard .. do you lash a slug to the hoisting ring? And what do you do at the tack ring... john
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic