Laser 28 International Class Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Laser 28 General > Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where To Rebuild Bukh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where To Rebuild Bukh
    Posted: 05 November 2021 at 9:43am
Does anyone know where I may be able to get my engine rebuilt?

Is there a shop somewhere in US/Canada that people use?

Thanks.
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2021 at 3:34pm
What is it that needs to be rebuilt on your engine?

Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 9:45am
I don't really know.  

I am being told that there is salt in the oil (yard that hauls the boat sends the oil out for testing).  

Erik at LSM Diesel told me the that salt in the oil must come from the cooling system so likely a leaking cylinder head gasket.

I am not an engine person and, unfortunately, I don't have a regular marine mechanic.   So I am trying to figure this out on my own.
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2021 at 3:52pm
It could very well be the head gasket. What part of the world are you in Jamie, maybe someone local could help out. Might also be a good idea to order a head gasket from LSM Diesel.
Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2021 at 7:43am
Thanks Paul.  I am in New England (northshore of Boston).

I would be happy to try to do it myself...but I have no idea what I am doing.
Jamie View Drop Down
Crew
Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2021 at 12:55pm
Actually.  I found out that there are traces of sodium in the transmission oil...not the engine out.   Not sure if that makes a difference.   Would head gasket also be source of sodium (saltwater) in transmission fluid?
Foghorn View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 11:57am
Water in the saildrive is most likely because of a leak at the propeller shaft seal. Not related to or caused by the head gasket.
Paul White
Decompression
CAN 214
Ron Waterson View Drop Down
Commodore
Commodore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Waterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Foghorn Foghorn wrote:

Water in the saildrive is most likely because of a leak at the propeller shaft seal. Not related to or caused by the head gasket.

Which, believe it or not, is good news.  Much smaller project/fix.  Could even be a lesser well known leak area which is at the drain hole located on the aft end of the sail drive. Try wrapping a diaper snuggly around the entire sail drive and see where the diaper absorbs fluid after a day or two.  Its likely going to be one of the two places we have described.  
Hull 147 - Angel's Share
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic